X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did warn you.

Comment

yeah, unfortunately my copy had been sitting here before your comment (and unwrapped-no return)

sigh.

i wonder if I should take it to gamestop and trade it in-I hate doing that...

Comment

I actually warned him first

Comment

Your opinion doesn't count for as much.

Plus I said it in a few other threads.

Comment

Usually, I'm not in the elitist pc camp-consoles dumbing down gaming, but this is unfortunately a clear example of it in effect,

Comment

Considering a PC developer did it, it seems to me like a self-fulfilling prophecy. They didn't need to dumb it down like they did, but they did.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

The one that has half as many consoles in the US
                The only console market that counts, the everyone but the English speakers are biased against MS, and the UK is on a silly spree.

as the 360 and is selling well as MS drags its feat on real pricecuts.
                They are giving the impression they actually want to recoup their money on this thing, not keep spending to "win the war for the living room" Or maybe they just dont care about the summertime, and would rather do a big price cut as christmas approaches.

The PS3 and the 360 are basically identically priced right now, which doesn't work in the 360's favour with the PS3 having Bluray.

Did you know that PS3 weekly sales actually fell 36% since last month and 360 sales went up 20%? It's amazing that kind of insight I can get from NPD when I actually think and analyze.
                Fortunaly Doc already put that in context.

You're way too superficial.
                Eh, I wouldnt want to dominate the discussion
                Last edited by lord of the mark; August 17, 2008, 18:05.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Why is that fun? I've already noted 3rd party sales on Wii have increased, it helps that they've simply got larger user bases to sell to but it also helps that Wii games are cheaper and the people who own Wiis are notably more likely to be classified as "complete retards".
                  continuing to elevate the tone of discussion.

The fact is, Wii's third party sales are still lacking compared to the 360's, notably so.

The statistics I saw last week is the average third-party game sells twice as much on the 360 compared to the Wii. Considering that the average third-party game on the 360 is also priced higher, as a publisher that interests me more.
                  Im sure that there will continue to be more 3rd party for releases for the 360. Im sure 3rd parties will look for niches where they can make money on the Wii. At one time that was only minigames, child focused games, and movie/tv type franchises. Now it apparently includes music/rhythm games. Whether it will expand to new genres or not, I dont know.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The Wii is selling amazingly well, that isn't news and it isn't fun. There's still a remarkable pile of **** games for it that pisses me off to no end. I'm genuinely concerned that Nintendo's going to turn off more people from gaming in the long-term because people won't play genuinely good games because they're scarred from the superficial piles of crap like Wii Sports and Cooking Mama. Nintendo is marginalizing game quality for a quick buck, and I hate that.

"Fun" indeed.

Some charts courtesy of the actual intelligent people are Beyond3D.
                    of course some folks are turned off from gaming by the proliferation of action games, but thats ok cause those are the types of games folks like asher want to play, and more importantly, the games they want to make.

I do suspect though the kinds of folks who want those kinds of games manage to find them on 360 and PS3. Even I have noted stores generally have the 360 and PS3 on display, and my impression is they and their games are pretty visible in the media and advertising. Anyone who cant find them, well, I dont like to use words like ******, but lets say they arent well connected to the grid.

as for beyond3d, it is a good site, not so much for superior IQ, but for excellent technical understanding. Its worth going there, if only to see that the impression one gets from Asher of a consensus agreeing with him is not really there.

Comment

Considering a PC developer did it, it seems to me like a self-fulfilling prophecy. They didn't need to dumb it down like they did, but they did.
                      possibly a marketing decision, based on a judgement of what the console market was looking for in a TBS.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                        The only console market that counts, the everyone but the English speakers are biased against MS, and the UK is on a silly spree.
                        Stop ****ing around. You're the one who posted the NPD numbers, don't get your panties in a twist if that's what I discuss in response. I only added the "in the US" so morons like yourself can keep in mind the scope of NPD. I never said it was the only market that counts (though it is the largest and most influential, by quite a large margin), that's yet another ****ing strawman from you.

of course some folks are turned off from gaming by the proliferation of action games, but thats ok cause those are the types of games folks like asher want to play, and more importantly, the games they want to make.
                        This isn't about action games vs non-action games. It's about effort, quality, and integrity. I don't know why you are again trying to argue about the content of games in the console world when you've never ****ing played one in your life. God damnit, LOTM, man up to the discussion and get your hands dirty and play the consoles you spend so much time arguing about. It's ridiculous to play the ignorant observer for years on end and then try to make arguments without comprehending the massive difference in game quality between your "Grand Theft Auto 3s" and your "Cooking Mamas". It has nothing to do with action (indeed, games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, NHL, Mass Effect, Forza, etc are hardly actiongames) and more to do with pride in one's work and making an honest effort to make a quality game, versus trying to capitalize on shallow trendy controls like the majority of the Wii games coming out (which are **** and the devs/publishers know it, the people who play it know it, but you don't know it.)
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

you spend so much time arguing about.
                          I havent posted here on this topic in a while, I just like to drop in once in a while to see what youre currently ranting about.

(indeed, games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, NHL, Mass Effect, Forza, etc are hardly actiongames)
                          two of those have been successful titles on the Wii.

But if its not about genre or subject matter, do you think a good cooking game could be made? Is it really that cooking mama was a bad cooking game, or just that you dislike the very idea. Youve never made that clear. You just say "cooking mama" and expect that to win an argument.

Comment

I've never seen a good "cooking" game. There may be a good one, but "Cooking Mama" is not it. Yes, I have played it. I even have a copy in my apartment. No, you have not played it let alone own it. End of discussion.

I am genuinely disgusted you keep trying to talk about console games in this thread. It's no different than me arguing about the intricacies of the Torah or AAHZ positing theories on advanced calculus. Stick to your comfort zone, or make a genuine effort to play the games you keep talking about.

Comment

I'm genuinely concerned that Nintendo's going to turn off more people from gaming in the long-term because people won't play genuinely good games because they're scarred from the superficial piles of crap like Wii Sports and Cooking Mama. Nintendo is marginalizing game quality for a quick buck, and I hate that.
                              Hmm... I dunno? Millions of people like solitaire- which is a quite simple game. Since these games let people actually 'bowl' and 'interact' more with the game controller- it appears that they are offering people a virtual experience they currently can't get anywhere else which appears to have some value.

I haven't played these games, so I can't comment on their relative "quality", but considering the sales counts it appears that people do like them.
                              -->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I haven't played these games, so I can't comment on their relative "quality", but considering the sales counts it appears that people do like them.

No, if they buy the same franchise again they like them. They won't know if they like it til they buy it. Initial sales don't mean anything if it doesn't follow through with sequels or future games of the same publisher.

The fact that there's a lot of games on the Wii but few sell very well tells me that a lot of people buy the game out of curiosity (they don't know any better) and given the abysmal budget of these titles, they may or may not break even. Games like Red Steel are AWFUL, but it still sold a million copies out of people being curious. It doesn't mean they like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X