Bioshock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bioshock

I have it for the 360. Got up to the second little sister and lost all interest in the game. It's a first person shooter, it's pretty, but it's a terribly yawn inducing experience. But why? It's supposedly great.

Maybe the story just isn't getting me, as the core game play in every FPS is just about the same.

I experienced the same problem with Half Life 2. Played it for a while and then just set the controller down out of boredom.

Both of those games are supposedly super awesome though right?

It's not because they are FPS's. I played with a goofy childish grin on my face all the way through Call of Duty 4 and each of the Halos.

Once you get past the yawn-inducing parts of the game that are based of the Philosophy they try to introduce, it's a good game.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Bioshock is pretty bad. OH MY GOD GENETIC TAMPERING MORAL DILLEMA SHOOT ****TONS! The hacking bull**** is what made me turn it off, I was laughing all the way through that. POONTANG

Comment

The game play is mediocre. The story, I thought, was excellent.
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Yeah, the story is brilliant. Nice send off of Rand's Objectavism.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No not really.

And at least Rand never postulated that computer hacking was quite literally manipulating a series of tubes. I hope Ted Stevens gets to be the main character in Bioshock 2 .

Comment

Same here, good story, boring gameplay. Took me almost a year to finish it. It didn't help that I had to have an internet connection to play it on my laptop, so I couldn't play while travelling.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Couldn't actually get it to work on a PC. On the shelf gathering dust.

Comment

I liked it a lot. The weapons were all pretty well balanced, with none of them looking like it was an obvious "tacked on" addition. The same applies to the plasmids, which were generally more useful than the Psi Powers in System Shock 2. (There were a few plasmids that seemed less well thought out, but I'll leave those for you to find.)

The storyline was good, even if it was the same "sting in the tail" plot that you got with System Shock 2 and Thief: the Dark Project ten years ago.

What really blew me away was the presentation. The music, the graphics, and the voice acting all blended together perfectly.

The PC version is slightly superior to the XBox version, as the mouse and keyboard layout is more suitable for FPSes. The XBox version has a certain degree of autoaim that I find irritating.
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Re: Bioshock

Originally posted by Space05us
                    I have it for the 360. Got up to the second little sister and lost all interest in the game. It's a first person shooter, it's pretty, but it's a terribly yawn inducing experience. But why? It's supposedly great.
                    Bioshock is one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had for a long time, so I urge you to carry on. Spend time looking around and trying to find all the tapes, because this is what drives the experience. More thoughts here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...71#post5149871 (spoilers)

Comment

I forced myself to finish it, I too lost interest in mainly the gameplay part after about the first 6-10 hours.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Remember that if Wiggy dislikes something, that's probably a good recommendation.
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Since Spikie links to his thoughts, I'll link to my summary thoughts after finishing the game (marked spoilers):

In that context it's important to note that it is now possible to disable vita chambers in the game for those who find them as much of a fun-killer as I did.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Bioshock was the most amazing FPS I've ever played.

I was constantly enthralled. Then again, I played on a 360, not the computer, so perhaps it had more ambiance. The only 'low point' was the disgusting first level in the medical bay.

I was actually frightened by the first spider splicer! And then when the artist walked down the stairs to accolades, I also freaked out, completely. It is a very immersive game. The music also contributes a lot to the ambiance.

And as mentioned, listening to the recordings and piecing together the story is simply amazing... and there are a lot of connections to piece together.

And at least Rand never postulated that computer hacking was quite literally manipulating a series of tubes. I hope Ted Stevens gets to be the main character in Bioshock 2 .
                            I thought that was pretty neat. The only bad part of the game was that it was a bit too short.

I guess you're someone who doesn't like the idea of combining philosophy with games. The story was quite complex, and at its core was more about empowerment and humanity than about ramming any particular philosophy down anyone's throat. Remember, things didn't particularly end well for Andrew Ryan, the supreme objectivist. The best character by far is the very human Tannenbaum.
                            -->Visit CGN!
                            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

The tube hacking was in my opinion more enjoyable than the SS2 "flat percentage click and pray" hacking game, and much much better than the "click and wait" hacking in Deus Ex.
                              "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Working...
                              X