X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but what about Snuggles.

Comment

MGS4 reviews start to come in

I know some here were sceptical but it seems to be a strong addition to the series.

Finally a decent exclusive for the PS3. Sales figures will be interesting I'm sure.

Comment

Re: MGS4 reviews start to come in

Originally posted by DrSpike
        I know some here were sceptical but it seems to be a strong addition to the series.

Finally a decent exclusive for the PS3. Sales figures will be interesting I'm sure.
        4-5 hours of gameplay in the first 15 hours playing? No thanks. Christ.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

But not in reference to physically and mentally disabled people, only in order to describe someone else's discourse using that word, which is why it is in quotes. Surely a brilliant computer scientist can follow that logical distinction?
          When will your constant insults end? Show some respect! Hug your neighbor!
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Re: MGS4...I think the problem with the reviews I've seen thus far are Metal Gear Solid fans at the core. And the problem with the MGS series is it's very polarizing. I absolutely hated MGS2 and haven't played any other, and critics loved MGS2 as well.

And reading between the lines of, for instance, IGN's review, the reviewer has owned every MGS game ever and loved them all. And to him, MGS4 with its absurdly long and frequent cut scenes is orgasmic and to me it'd be incredibly frustrating. The incredibly convoluted and bizarre plot from MGS is kicked up a notch in MGS4, which would annoy the hell out of me again, but reviewers find it fascinating.

I'm thinking MGS4 is probably a perfect game (the douche at IGN says he wish he could give it an 11 out of 10) if you're a fan of MGS and have grown used to each title's increasingly bizarre plots, increasingly frequent abuse of cut scenes, and just annoying control schemes, then maybe MGS4 is the pinnacle of something they've enjoyed.

I would love to see a MGS4 review from your average gamer who has never played a MGS game before. I imagine it'd be very different. I've watched every MGS4 video on IGN and GameTrailers and I don't understand the obsesesion, because I'm not at all attached to (or fond of) Kojima's past games. If anything I think it's an absolutely terrible direction for games to head into.

Games are meant to be played, not watched.

Comment

Eurogamer's review so far is the only one that's made sense to me.

Controversial back when it was published in 2008, does Oli Welsh's take on Solid Snake's farewell stand up today?

Their introduction for instance:
              Metal Gear Solid has always been a love it or hate it proposition. Millions love it for its involved, conspiratorial plotting, its arch sense of humour, its demanding stealth gameplay, its sprawling cinematic ambition, its preposterous stylishness and pretensions toward artistic weight. Millions hate it for exactly the same reasons.

Then there are those - this reviewer included - for whom Metal Gear Solid is a love it and hate it proposition. Flawed, intractable, unspeakably tedious at times, and yet blessed with incredible production values, imaginative design, and a brilliant, brave willingness to think and do the unexpected and impossible. At times they're barely videogames at all, but they're capable of moments of pure videogame genius, joy and shock that few other series can match.

Though even then I disagree with its "pure videogame genius" bit. What does MGS do that is pure genius? The production values are absurdly high to the point of being overboard. The production values are so high, every game there is less and less game to play.

Same reason I can't stand Final Fantasy these days. And MGS is even worse at offending with cutscenes.

Their conclusion says it all:
              You're sorry to see Snake go. But should you be? Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it. It just burrows deeper into what fans love and detractors hate than ever before, and it will make few converts. It's a crying shame, given how many genuinely classic gaming moments there are here, given the countless exquisite creative touches, but Metal Gear Solid 4 is its own worst enemy. You could not ask for a funnier, cleverer, more ambitious or inspired or over-the-top conclusion to the Metal Gear Solid series, but it's definitely time to move on.

We love you, Snake. Don't come back.

Comment

Reading the feedback from actual users on Beyond3D and I'm surprised the reviews don't mention the apparently terrible AI?

I wonder Is the AI shown in the latest Gamersyde video representative? Becouse it was borderline dead or braindead, some of the worst I've seen for ages.

Pick any video exept cut-scene. It is constant and not screw ups from time to time.
                http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6627_en.html

So far the AI in firefights is practically non existing so far. They dont take cover, they just try to come into your line of sight so they can fire. Once thats been accomplished they just stand there and fire once in a while.

I wandered off on several occasions with the FROGS. Several time up to 4 enemies vs me alone in a small corridor. The end result is allways the same, the amount of damage the FROGS do far to small to kill me (+ you got rations, so its nearly impossible to kill you anyway), and since they are stationary 99% of the time its not exactly hard to kill em.

Comment

The almighty power of hype affects even game reviewers. I remember some reviewers (don't remember which) tried MTG2 a year or so after its release, after the dust had settled, and they were underwhelmed. They didn't understand why they initially gave it such a high score. And lets face it, MGS2 sucked monkey balls...
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

Actually, of the ones I mentioned, Animal Crossing will surely be the largest seller, and likely the only established N franchise left to hit the 5m mark.
                    Yes, I hadn't realized how big of a deal Animal Crossing is. Over 9 million sold on the DS, a little under 3 million for the GameCube game. So the Wii will probably go 4-5 million.

Ok?

Just saying that the 360 will be getting a slew of new releases. Good time to be a gamer....and good time for a price cut, Microsoft!

Well, the only first party games yet to launch that will have sales similar to SSBB are Gears 2, Halo Wars?, and Gran Turismo 5, so that's not really a valid criticism of the wii alone. The first party big bullets have all been fired.

The 360 still has some bullets left, not all firsty party of course. CoD5, Assassin's Creed 2, for instance. And, god willing, we'll see a new Crimson Skies released on the 360.

Eh, several waggle fests have been strong sellers-Carnival Games, Mario/Sonic olympics, and now Game Party has been in the top 20 for a little while.

True, but how many times are people going to pay for the same game? Game Party sold far fewer than Carnival Games, which sold far fewer than Mario/Sonic. Wario will certainly benefit from the name (as did Mario/Sonic) so it'll undoubtedly do much better, but we'll see if it pulls in 5 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snuggles

When will your constant insults end? Show some respect! Hug your neighbor!
                      so tell me, whats the correct term for "computer scientist" these days?
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

so tell me, whats the correct term for "computer scientist" these days?
                        I refuse to lower myself to your level of constant streams of personal attacks and insults.

No hug for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo
                          The almighty power of hype affects even game reviewers. I remember some reviewers (don't remember which) tried MTG2 a year or so after its release, after the dust had settled, and they were underwhelmed. They didn't understand why they initially gave it such a high score. And lets face it, MGS2 sucked monkey balls...
                          For a more recent example people are beginning to question whether GTA4 is teh best game evar!! as well, although it still topped the all-time metacritic list last time I checked.

Comment

Metal Gear Solid 4 has garnered a slew of perfect 10s. Even IGN gave it a 10. I thought it would get decent reviews, but apparently, it is awesome in every way, some say the most technically accomplished game ever released on a console.

It's a rare year when you get two games that good. The game stores I go to all sold out on launch day, so I'll have my copy in a few days. I guess I'll take the day off to play it.

Battlefield: Bad Company seems like a load of dreck. You'd think they could come up with some new plot ideas.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

4-5 hours of gameplay in the first 15 hours playing? No thanks. Christ.
                              That is ridiculous. I'm playing Bioshock right now and I love how they have gotten away from cut scenes and are still able to tell the story effectively.
                              Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Easily the most gripping story of any game I've played for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X