video card shopping question number 1 - ATI/AMD(?) line vs Nvidia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia doesn't actually retail cards, Vendors do
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      Nvidia doesn't actually retail cards, Vendors do
      You mean they dont actually manufacture and sell cards,right? In this case Microcenter is the retailer, or is "retailer" used differently in this industry? In any case what your saying is Nvidia does research, and then licenses the technology?

And ATI it looks like, does make and sell some of their own cards - as well as licensing tech. Does it matter for them whether I "buy from" ATI, or a licensee?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Nvidia actually manufactures all their cards
        They do not retail all their cards (eg, box/market)
        Nor do they resell the cards (eg, newegg)
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Heres a GeForce 6200 with 256 MB for only $25 US

Get answers to your questions about order status, product information, returns, account questions, business sales, and so much more. We offer several forms of help including community support, chat, email.

Is the 6200 too obsolete to improve on my IGP? It had a core clock speed of 350 Mhz - is that bad? How important is the amount of video memory, the core clock speed, or other parameters?

Does it depend on the genre of game I'm considering running, or will it vary more with individual game/engine?
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I wouldn't bother upgrading unless it was to the 2600 XT

Comment

I wouldn't bother upgrading unless it was to the 2600 XT
              What is that equivalent to in Nvidia? What are the parameters I could use to tell equivalence?

Comment

I think the equivalent is the 8500GT or something, which is slower
                There are no real parameters to use, you need to find benchmarks.

Comment

Just noticed it's only $59 after the mail-in rebate...really good deal.
                  Be prepared to jump thru hoops and wait so long you'll forget you ever sent in the volumes of documentation Sapphire demands for their rebates. Even without the rebate, that is an excellent deal.
                  "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

The 2600 XT looks right for you Lotm..........though of course by the time you get around to buying it, it wont be.

Comment

You want either a 7000 higher level card, an 8000 line, or various different ATI cards in the 1000-2000 line (ATI is more of a random hodgepodge in terms of numbers). 2600XT is of course a good choice, or an 8600 or above card. I don't think you could get an 8600 for that price, though. A 7600 or a 7800 would also be worth considering.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Do you have a job? $1,000 for a high end computer that would last several years would save you a lot of time and angst over system requirements.

If the cost is prohibitive and makes you feel guilty, do what I do: pretend you were mugged on your way home from dinner, and simply were going to lose the money anyway. Then when the computer/stereo/car shows up, it's like a gift from a charity shelter to make you feel better. This has a limit of course because eventually you will probably go bankrupt but it has never happened to me.

More risky is staging arson but it will work if you have an SUV and there's an active environmental group in your area. My church did this and the pastor is still somehow a free man.

Comment

Wiglaf.

Comment

You guys dont seem to get that I ENJOY talking about system requirements, I think this stuff is cool. Id rather spend some time learning about this stuff, than just throw some money at a card or system far beyond my requirements.

For example ive learned that the Nvidia and ATI are the only manufacturers of GPU chips, not the only manufacturers of video cards. The "vendors" are the guys who take the chip and combine it with memory, cooling system, etc and then package it and sell it to retailers like Newegg or Best Buy. Which makes a lot more sense to me.

Re the 2600 XT

1. Since Im not planning on putting Vista on this system, thus wont be getting DX10, and since Im probably not going to upgrade the CPU from the P4, is this chip overkill?

2. What is the energy usage of this chip? Heat generation?

I dont want to sound cheap, and $60 does sound like a good deal, but I'm still tempted by even cheaper cards.
                            Last edited by lord of the mark; April 8, 2008, 22:08.

Comment

I dont want to sound cheap,

Comment

Wiglaf.

Comment

Working...
                                X