I have achieved my childhood aspiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have achieved my childhood aspiration

Today, I finally finished a game of X-Com: UFO Defense an superhuman level, playing ironman (never reloading a previous game state). No, before you ask, before I know I can dedicate a few years of my life to studying the game, I'm not going to do the same with Terror from the Deep .

Some highlights:

- the most fun I had playing this game: Defending a base whose purpose was mass psi-screening rookies against a floater attack. I had forgotten to add any real defenses here, you see, so my assets were a chokepoint, 32 unarmed and unarmoured rookies, a laser tank, and a rocket tank against 26 (IIRC) floaters and reapers packing heavy plasmas and blaster launchers. I put on the Cannon Fodder theme tune and rolled with it . End result was 16 rookies dead... it was a rather straightforward fight, really. Now doing the same without the tanks... that would have been interesting
    - the least fun I had playing this game: Spending months to build psi-labs, put people in training, and get the results of the training, just to get some rookies with decent psi strength. The next time I play this game I'm going to just use XComUtil's automatic screening...
    - the second most fun I had playing this game: Romping around Cydonia with sectopods mind-controlled from several screens away by my psions who had both psi strength and psi skill at >95 . (I mind-controlled quarters at a time to pump TU into them)
    - the third most fun I had playing this game: Landing next to an abducter and a forest that was filled with floaters, mind-controlling every one of them outside of the ship and lining them up to be slaughtered

Also, since it seems other people who have done this tend to come back saying "it wasn't really all that difficult"... well, no, if you get through the early game (I restarted several times because of screwing up my economy by doing stupid things like losing the Skyranger), it really is quite straightforward. I unfortunately didn't manage to get psi until I downed an ethereal medium scout somewhere about, uh, June or July IIRC.
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Congrats
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Comment

Great job.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Nice job.

Comment

I saw "childhood aspiration" and immediately thought of some miraculous feat performed with Pong.

X-com? Damn - I was already married when that game came out.

Good job though.
            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

pff, show off.
              <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Re: I have achieved my childhood aspiration

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
                The next time I play this game I'm going to just use XComUtil's automatic screening...
                Hey, no cheating allowed
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                X