UFO:Aftermath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFO:Aftermath

Couldn't resist buying UFO Aftermath,Aftershock and Afterlight combined DVD for £15.

Starting with Aftermath as the first in the series (although apparently the weakest according to reviews).

So is it X-Com? Well almost but not quite. It's disappointing that a game quite a few years after the original is still less of a game. Now I'm possibly looking at the X-com series through rose tinted glasses but there are quite a few features that were in the original that aren't in Aftermath.

No morale, can't enter buildings, don't appear to be able to look around without moving, different poses don't seem make much difference to chance to hit. The garphics feel sort of sub Fallout. Not especially clear or evocative. No ranks which added to identifying with your troops.

It's still kinda fun though but just a bit lacking. Lots of different weapons and ammo but I'm not sure that makes up for it.

Most annoying feature is the way the focus changes to squad members after they've completed an order even though you've just selected someone else. Lost quite a few that way.

Anyway I feel I have to play this one through before moving onto the others which look more promising.

UFO Extraterrestrials is better and fairly close to the original X-COM
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Check the Options to disable the focussing up on certain events =)
      Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Managed to stop the camera moving but haven't worked out how to stop the focus changing to the characters.

Still got some weapons other than shotguns now. All i need now is for some of my team to get out of sickbay.

Comment

They were fun games, worth playing through once.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Better to dust off the original or Apocalypse in my view.

Comment

Couldn't get it to work on XP or with Dosbox. Probably need to spend more time with Dos Box as got a stack of games I'd like to try again.

Aftermath is still fun though. The interface is a bit frustrating and while I have a dozen different sub machine guns there seems little point to them unless you're really into that kind of detail. Most of them play pretty similarly.

Learning curve seems to go up in sharp jumps rather than a gentle incline. Just lost most of my squad to death bellows thinking it was another slow moving alien I could have some target practice with.

Comment

I think it was the Lower Caninesâ„¢ that had the Windows 95 version up. That runs on XP with a little bit of tweaking of the screen refresh rate.
                Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

I've actually got it on CD but I couldn't get the soundcard to work. Wasn't sure if this was because the one I'm using isn't a creative or soundblaster compatible which seems to be what the game is looking for.

I do have an SB16 hidden away somewhere but I'm not sure I have that much enthusiasm at the moment.

Death Bellows don't like shotguns but the trick is getting close enough. I'm now being forced to play a bit more tactically rather than just snip away in the distance with a sniper.

Comment

Working...
                  X