Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    KJA is a reasonably good writer

Ooooh, that was a good one. Tell another!
    It all depends on where you set the bar. Compared to Dan Brown, Anderson really is pretty talented.

I could never get into Dune (for those who want a TBS game, I assume there are already numerous Dune scenarios for the various Civs), though it's been a while since I tried. I still recommend that a DBZ MMO come first, as a sort of mouth-breather magnet to draw off the worst idjits from other MMOs. And of course I might actually want to play an evolutionary MMO: half-game, half giant social experiment.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

EVE is great fun...

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

It all depends on where you set the bar. Compared to Dan Brown, Anderson really is pretty talented.
        Indeed, I don't make any pretense that Anderson is a great writer. I rate writers as:

1. Gods (ie, Heinlein, Asimov; Iain Banks, John Barnes, Lois McMaster Bujold for contemporary writers): I seek their entire collection as soon as I can and whine about how long they take to write new ones (when still alive).
        2. Greats (ie, Steven Brust, Greg Bear, David Brin, John Wright): I buy their new books when I see them, and go through their backlist when I can.
        3. Good (ie, George RR Martin, Robin Hobb, Michael Crichton): I read when I see something, often in paperback though, and go through their backlist some.
        4. Readable (many): If I see a paperback by them, I might pick it up when i've run out of 1-3, if it's a subject I like.
        5. Unreadable (some, less than 4): I won't read them, even if it's a subject I normally would read.

I put KJA somewhere between 3 and 4. I don't read everything he writes, but generally enjoy what I do read.

Overall I'm just a voracious reader, and generally enjoy most books out there no matter the subject... it doesn't have to be perfect writing to keep my interest, as long as it's interesting and not completely moronic.

Sadly even the greats have their bad days ... the last Dune book by Frank i couldn't finish, his first 3 were great but it went downhill from there
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

You have some of your positions mixed up, imnsho.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
            You have some of your positions mixed up, imnsho.

JM
            QFT.

Comment

Re: A Dune MMO would be fun...

Originally posted by Heraclitus
              I wan't more good SciFi MMO's. Could the Dune universe be adapted?
              I believe I read something about some developers working on a Dune MMO of some sort, but it was canceled some years ago. Haven't read anything about it (and only heard about it a month ago)
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                I'd rather see a Dune based TBS game.
                No - what they should really do is have a nice Dune RTS. You could have the 3 factions, spice as your resource, and different units depending on the factions strength.

Comment

Oh, shush.

Comment

Working...
                  X