No announcement yet.

Console Wars II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't make yourself dumber than you are, most people buy most of their presents within the last days before Christmas.
    Here in the states anyway, roughly 1/3 of all holiday sales will happen this Friday, assuming history holds. With the remaining 2/3 spread out between now and Christmas.

So, I would not be surprised to hear folks not buying any of the games in the hopes of some Black Friday deals.

Don't know about 'last days', but I'm fairly certain a lot of folks...well, a lot of PARENTS, at least, are waiting to buy games till this weekend or later.

I know there's a bundle deal on a DS we'll be going after for my son's Bday (happens to be Dec 23rd). No regrets on waiting to buy that DS. Haven't looked too close at the Wii deals, honestly. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some involving Mario Galaxy, though.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

A lot do, sure.

Using your logic, I'm sure Halo 3 sales are going to be astronomical in Dec still.
      Probably it will sale very well, yes.

A Wii game, specifically a MARIO game is a lot more subject to people waiting to buy it for Christmas, though.

Just due to the demographics of the intended audiences. Most Halo Players have their own money, wouldn't want to miss out on the time playing, and would be more likely to go buy it themselves.

I think a fair few more Mario players will be having "santa" bring it to them. And there's no need to buy it opening weekend for a gift at Christmas.

Even so, Mario will never match Halo in sales overall.
      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

A lot do, sure.

Using your logic, I'm sure Halo 3 sales are going to be astronomical in Dec still.
        Oh, yes. I think it's a good possibility that Halo3 will sell good closer to Christmas. Why shouldn't it? As for Mario's sales, Unorthodox has some good points.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Super Mario Galaxy sold 500,000 copies in its first week in the US. Pretty good, but no Halo...
          Of course the Wii still has a lower installed base in the US than the 360, IIUC. And a big part of its user base is presumably only interested in Wii Sports and party games.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

Of course the Wii still has a lower installed base in the US than the 360, IIUC.
            This is yet another comment that doesn't add anything to the discussion. The Wii has a lower installed base, but it's not 25% of the 360's so the original point still stands.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

This is yet another comment that doesn't add anything to the discussion. The Wii has a lower installed base, but it's not 25% of the 360's so the original point still stands.

How did comparing SMG to Halo add to the discussion? Theyre different games, with far different expectations of how they would do overall, and of how front loaded their sales would be.

If making the comparison to Halo is useful than so is mentioning ONE of the several factors that differentiate them as well.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

How did comparing SMG to Halo add to the discussion? Theyre different games, with far different expectations of how they would do overall, and of how front loaded their sales would be.
                Gee, I'm not sure what relevance comparing two flagship game franchises' sales released within months of eachother in a Console Wars thread has.

Maybe if we sit and think about it, it will come to us.

If making the comparison to Halo is useful than so is mentioning ONE of the several factors that differentiate them as well.

It is true that one of the factors that limits Super Mario Galaxy's sales is that the 360 is that the 360 has about 25% more units in the Wii in the USA. It's insignificant, however.

Early Assassin's Creed numbers, for the Xbox 360 alone, put it at 585,000 units sold. That's an original game (no franchise), competing with the same game on another platforms, with reviews as low as 6/10 selling around the same as Super Mario Galaxy.

Do you think this is perhaps a better talking point than trying to make insigificant points about tiny differences in hardware units to explain huge differences in sales?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Gee, I'm not sure what relevance comparing two flagship game franchises' sales released within months of eachother in a Console Wars thread has.

Maybe if we sit and think about it, it will come to us.

It is true that one of the factors that limits Super Mario Galaxy's sales is that the 360 is that the 360 has about 25% more units in the Wii in the USA. It's insignificant, however.

Early Assassin's Creed numbers, for the Xbox 360 alone, put it at 585,000 units sold. That's an original game (no franchise), competing with the same game on another platforms, with reviews as low as 6/10 selling around the same as Super Mario Galaxy.

Do you think this is perhaps a better talking point than trying to make insigificant points about tiny differences in hardware units to explain huge differences in sales?
                  I think they're all valid points, and that trying to censor the discussion is not useful.

Comment

Ok, remind me again what the 360 percentage lead over the Wii is in total sales (HW and SW)?

What percentage is defined as tiny, and what as huge?

Comment

Lets see, a 25% difference in HW sales is tiny, but a 30% difference total sales IS huge. So huge starts at somewhere between 25% and 30% I take it?
                      How many copies did Halo 3 sell in its first week compared to SMG? Hint: It was a hell of a lot more than 30%...

I think you ought to re-read what I said. You're getting all confused.

Comment

• so you think that

" For the month of October, Xbox 360 led in total revenue with $354 million compared to $246 million for Wii and $116 million for PS3."

does NOT represent a huge lead of 360 over Wii?

Comment

• Back on the SMG / AC comparison:

UK sales aren't looking good either:

It may have reviewed well but Super Mario Galaxy has had a relatively slow start in the UK charts. Straight in at, er number 5, the Nintendo icon's new game was outsold by the mediocre likes of The Simpsons Game and WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008. Assassin's Creed - which took the top slot - is the fastest selling new IP since The Getaway in 2002 and apparently sold over three times as many copies as Mario.

Similarly, in Europe as a whole, Assassin's Creed for the 360 was #1 and Call of Duty 4 for the 360 was #2 and Super Mario Galaxy was #3.

Even 1st party games are being beat out by 3rd party games on the 360. Relevant discussion?

Comment

so you think that

" For the month of October, Xbox 360 led in total revenue with $354 million compared to $246 million for Wii and $116 million for PS3."

does NOT represent a huge lead of 360 over Wii?
                            What the hell. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what we are talking about.

My comment was this:

which was in direct reply to this:
                            Of course the Wii still has a lower installed base in the US than the 360, IIUC.

Which was directly in the context of Halo 3 vs Super Mario Galaxy sales.

Yes, Halo 3 had a HUGE lead in sales over Super Mario Galaxy. Not 30%. You're getting VERY confused with what is being discussed. Please take the time to understand context before replying.

Comment

What the hell. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with what we are talking about.

My comment was this:

which was in direct reply to this:

Which was directly in the context of Halo 3 vs Super Mario Galaxy sales.

Yes, Halo 3 had a HUGE lead in sales over Super Mario Galaxy. Not 30%. You're getting VERY confused with what is being discussed. Please take the time to understand context before replying.

Halo3 certainly had a huge lead in sales. 360's lead in installed base over Wii, while not nearly as huge, was not tiny however. It was quite large.

Anyway, do you have a prediction on whether SMG will EVER catch Halo3 in LTD sales?

Comment

• No, it won't.

Comment

Working...
                                X