No announcement yet.

Console Wars II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the grand scheme of things I don't think it's terribly important, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel
      Blue Dragon requires 2 dvds, Lost Odyssey will require 4.

I'm not quite sure what "something cool unlikely to be realized" means to game designers, but I think not having to swap out dvds is at least "nice" for the user.
      FMV sucks, but this isn't a real issue. You have to swap Blue Dragon once at the half-way point...big deal -- I swapped it out personally about 12 times to play other games before I switched to disc 2.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        I am skeptical of the claim that the PS3 actually has less graphical potential than the 360.

Why is that? It's widely accepted that the Xbox 360 has the more capable GPU. It has more transistors, it has more features, it's far more efficient.

Legend: RSX = PS3, Xenos = Xbox 360

Transistors
        RSX: 300 million
        Xenos: 337 million

Framebuffer bandwidth
        (Framebuffer is the area of memory where the picture is drawn)
        RSX: 22.4 GB/s
        Xenos: 256 GB/s

GPU memory bandwidth
        RSX: 22.4 GB/s
        Xenos: 22.4 GB/s

GPU max memory
        RSX: 256 MB
        Xenos: 512 MB (shared with CPU)

Vertex shaders
        RSX: 1 billion vertices/second (fixed)
        Xenos: 6.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)
        2.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 16 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
        1.5 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 12 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)
        1.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 8 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Triangle setup
        RSX: 250 Tris/second
        Xenos: 500 Tris/second

Hardware tesselator
        RSX: No
        Xenos: Yes

Pixel Shader Processing (w/ Filtered, textured pixels Per Cycle)
        RSX: 17.6 billion
        Xenos: 24 billion

Pixel fill rate w/ FSAA
        RSX: 2.0 GPixels/sec
        Xenos: 4.0 GPixels/sec

Shader model versions
        RSX: 3.0
        Xenos: 3.0+
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by asleepathewheel
          Will Wright:

Game designer Will Wright is responsible for some of the world's most famous titles - but he's really excited the prospect of plugging them directly into his brain, he tells Bobbie Johnson.

Will Wright isnt a real gamer dont ya know, he doesnt have the credibility of the folks who post here.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Will Wright -- he's the guy that brought us The Sims, right? uke:

That ain't a game, just like a dollhouse isn't a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
              A huge portion of people who have the Wii grow disenchanted with it over time when the limitations that were obvious to me at the beginning become more obvious to more people.
              So are they all unloading them on Ebay? What does a used Wii go for these days?
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Brits dont count, obviously.

Comment

Will Wright -- he's the guy that brought us The Sims, right? uke:

That ain't a game, just like a dollhouse isn't a game.
                  A toy gun isn't a game.

Comment

The reason the Wii's sales are so high is simple: the tickle-me-elmo "hot item" effect.
                    Did tickle me elmo remain hot for 12 months?

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

A toy gun isn't a game.
                      Uh. What?

No, most people use them to collect dust. That's what I use mine for, and it's really good at it with the white finish.

And they go for below market value...

Comment

Uh. What?

No, most people use them to collect dust. That's what I use mine for, and it's really good at it with the white finish.

And they go for below market value...
                        Surely you mean they go for less than the cost of a new one, not less than market value.

Comment

• I'm discussing the market value for the new one, quite obviously. But thank you for the semantic argument, it was missed in your absence.

Comment

• And here I thought used things mostly did go for less than the new, unused ones. Go figure, good I have Asher to tell me the opposite.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• You ditch the Wii for being sold for less than the price of a new when in a used state. I call that a weak argument.
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X