Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any decent 4x space strategy games for OS X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any decent 4x space strategy games for OS X?

I've been interested in playing a space empire building strategy game lately. After immense disappointment of MoO3 was unleashed upon the world, I forgot about the genre but I now have a renewed interest.

Unfortunately it seems like Space Empire building games available are either too old like Master of Orion 2 (requires OS 9), too crappy (MoO3), or simply not available for OS X (GalCiv 2). Any recommendations?

edit: crap I meant to post this topic in other games.

Obligatory

Remove "4x space strategy" and "decent" and it's still a good question

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Emperor of the fading Suns?

It runs on XP, it runs on 2k, maybe it even runs on Vista
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Re: Obligatory

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Remove "4x space strategy" and "decent" and it's still a good question
          Of course! Checkout this awesome lineup from August to October:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
          Battlefield 2142
          Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
          Need For Speed: Carbon

I mean, who isn't looking forward to Battlefield 2124 and Harry Potter?

Comment

Fragile Allegiance
            Destiny
            Imperium Galactica

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

spaceward ho! ?
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Spaceward Ho! is a little to short and simple for me.

After lengthy research, I've found that it's pretty much the only 4x space game available for OS X. So, I just recreated a bootcamp partition and reinstalled XP. I'm going to give Space Empires V demo a try.

Comment

I wish Firaxis would become interested in making a 4x space game. Alpha Centauri as nice as it is, is still bound to the one planet.

I really had harbored hopes that Big Huge Games might fill the vacuum that MoO3 had left, but that wasn't to be.

I loved MoO2, but it is just too stale for me now. I liked Imperium Galactica, but I can't get it to run on XP. I haven't even tried MoO3. I don't like Galactic Civilizations - feels like more of a board game than an empire building game.
                  Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

See what happens when you buy a Mac?
                    be free

Comment

I've heard people say Space Empires V isn't as good as III or IV.
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Space Empires V demo a try.
                        SEV is a graphics sellout (if you can imagine that looking at the graphics).

SEIII is probably too dated for you to enjoy if you weren't playing it back then.

SEIV has everything you would want except 3D combat (a la Homeworld).
                        Last edited by Patroklos; October 19, 2007, 14:10.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                          See what happens when you buy a Mac?
                          What? I get to play PC games and use an non-Windows operating system I enjoy.

Anyways, I didn't even get the Space Empires V demo to work. After looking at reviews, the consensus seems to agree with Straybow, that V isn't as good as IV or III. A lot of reviews complain about numerous bugs and lack of balance.

So I turned to Space Empires IV demo and after playing a few turns, I'm pleased with what I see. I don't mind not actually controlling combat, although it would be a nice feature, but what really catches my attention are the shear possibilities for everything ranging from ship building to research to solar system variability. There are just so many options and gameplay features that I need to find a guide to help me understand everything.

I may try Galactic Civilizations I and II demos next. How similar is the GalCiv franchise to Star Empires? I had one friend describe it as civilization 2 in space.

Comment

I don't mind not actually controlling combat, although it would be a nice feature, but what really catches my attention are the shear possibilities for everything ranging from ship building to research to solar system variability. There are just so many options and gameplay features that I need to find a guide to help me understand everything.
                            Exactly. In the full version, which must be like $5 dollars now, you contol combat.
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV

I may try Galactic Civilizations I and II demos next. How similar is the GalCiv franchise to Star Empires? I had one friend describe it as civilization 2 in space.
                              I don´t know about Space Epires,
                              but GalCiv (you should best skip part 1 and start with part 2 from the beginning on)
                              IMHO could be described as a mix between master of Orion and Civiilization.

Like in MOO you have planets that yu ca cevelope by building buldings into a limited numbr of sectors. And just like in MOO you can develope your own ships according to the technologis you research.

Like Civ (and unlike MOO) it plays on a 2D-Map and you have strategixc resources (that aren´t as vital as those in Civ 3 however, thy just enhance crtain things like the atack values of your ships, your galactic influence and so on)

And you also have minor tribes, i.e. minor civs that normally only posess a single planet but can be good trading partners, trusty alies or just prey for your mighty armadas :d

A very big plus IMHO is the diplomacy (well done IMHO) as well as the implementation of many galactic wonders that can (similar to Rock´n Roll, Movies and Musicals in Civ 4) be franchised to other empires so that they can use it as long as the treaty runs.
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                              X