No UT3 threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No UT3 threads?

The beta demo for Unreal Tournament 3 has just been released (2 days ago). Anybody here who's tried it? The first 24 hours was tough, joining an online game was HARD, and when you joined one it was laggy as hell. But since last night a lot of new servers has been made, which are all lag free (but from time to time all players gets disconnected)

The game runs smooth on max settings (even on the not-top-of-the-line computers)

The gameplay is what you'd expect for an UT game: Lots of fast action. For fans of earlier UT games, this is great, but if you expect some great changes you're in for a disappointment I guess, as it's more of the same just with a bit better graphics (not that awesome graphics though, but then I'm only playing using DX9)
    If you're looking for an FPS with a great story, go look somewhere else

The worst drawback of this game is the menu system, which is very annoying at times and at other times it doesn't work at all. The way you set the controls is among the worst I've ever seen in an FPS game, and on top of that they require you to set the controls twice. Once for SP and once for MP... WTF??? They're exactly the same, but after playing SP then went into MP it had removed my settings
    I sure hope they make some huge changes to how the menu and server browser is (currently I have to set the filter settings to show Deatmatch servers only, for it to show the CTF games
    This space is empty... or is it?

People still play UT?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Considering how active the servers are, I'd say yes

I stopped playing UT a long time ago, but now with the new release I just had to try it again

Comment

How active are the servers?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Thousands? Been awile.

UT is awesome, you definitely dont need to be part of the jones club to have a good time
          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            How active are the servers?
            Not sure, but there's at least a few hundred servers with probably an average of 10 players each

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              People still play UT?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                Not sure, but there's at least a few hundred servers with probably an average of 10 players each
                So, about 1/100 of the people playing Halo 3 at any given time?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  So, about 1/100 of the people playing Halo 3 at any given time?
                  Considering that's it's a beta demo, what do you expect? Unless the Halo3 MP only has 3 maps it's no surprise

Comment

Halo 3's beta demo had upwards of a million, IIRC.

Comment

Within Five days of release?

But I guess nobody else here cares about the game, so let's just bury this thread. I don't want this to turn into a "but game X is much better and has more fans" thread. I couldn't care less about if Halo had billions of players within hours of release or if it only had two players. I'm not interested in Halo at all
                      Last edited by Adagio; October 17, 2007, 08:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                        Within Five days of release?
                        Yes.

People even bought copies of Crackdown just to get the beta invite. It wasn't even a fully open beta.

Comment

I've played it and it's fun when it works. It's marred by issues ATM. Mainly server browser or ping related. For instance the server browser sorts ping by first digit so it goes 0, 1xx, 2xx, 30, 40, etc. Then the server browser lists so many faulty or wrong servers which don't let you join despite them not being full, etc. It's pretty ****ed. If they can't fix this stuff UT3 will be dead online. They are using Gamespy so it's probably beyond hope.

The game also lacks an ability to check ping in game AFAIK. I joined a 60ms server the other day and it was so lagged to be unplayable. I literally hadn't played that lagged in a game since Q1 back in the late 90s. Then again I had no idea what I was pinging so perhaps it was 200ms+ but even then no other modern FPS feels that bad even at that ping.
                          Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Ever since the multiplay servers got up I haven't had any of those problems playing the game online, those servers are great. Trying to join another server can be painful, as you never know how much it will lag (only managed to join one non-multiplay server that didn't lag)

Comment

Maybe there are just better servers up in Europe... I see lots of interesting 100ms+ servers but since I live in Chicago I don't bother. There aren't many good pinging servers for me.
                              Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Working...
                              X