Portal is the game of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah. I just wonder if I would play those other games. *shrug*
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• You don't need to buy it in the package. You can buy it solo for $20 on Steam
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Well damn. I am just totally out of the loop, then. We'll see.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Just finished it! Excellent game, easily game of the year for me (but I only played a few this year).

The length is about right, it took me just over 4 hours to play through. The puzzles are moderately difficult, I found the "precision jumping" parts to be hardest as I have very little experience with FPS games.

The game has only a few basic mechanisms, but it reminded me of the old classic Incredible Machines. I don't know if they ever did a 3D version of IM with realistic physics. Portal demonstrates that there is definitely room for such a game.

The GLaDOS character is simply amazing. It starts as an annoying metallic voice (when I first heard it I considered going to the options to shut it off) but becomes more and more amusing as time goes on. The ending sequence has a very well scripted monologue and the closing song is memorable.

Portal is simply a Game. Unlike many modern titles that are a Cult or an Unfinished Product, it is a complete and polished unit of entertainment. It's evenly paced, easy to learn, rewards you often, graphics and sounds are good and when you're done you feel like you've accomplished something.

I can't think of a game design issue they did wrong. The game may be too easy for some, but that is a design decision.

If you think about buying based on this review, be advised that replayability is almost nonexistant, expect to only play once. That's probably between 3 and 8 hours of gameplay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
            You don't need to buy it in the package. You can buy it solo for $20 on Steam
            Yeah, but TF2 looks worth it and the package is cheaper then TF2 + Portal.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I've got Orange Box and haven't started it yet. From what I've read though Portal is very good but is too short to buy by itself. Fortunately though Orange Box is great value - aside from Portal I am quite happy to play through HL2 again (and episode 1) on the Xbox and you get episode 2 and TF2 in the bargain.

Comment

• Reminds me, I still haven't even started TF2 once. It's a very rare case where just seeing the graphics turns me off, I really dislike the art style. Still, I should try it, I already have the game after all.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• I dont play shooters, but I'd like to try Portal after all the good press it got. Probably will get it through Steam.

Comment

• I bought Orange Box last night.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                      I dont play shooters, but I'd like to try Portal after all the good press it got. Probably will get it through Steam.
                      It's not a shooter in any but the most remote sense. You don't actually go kill anyone, you don't have weapons. It's just a first-person perspective game, but the gameplay is really 85% puzzle and 15% shooter genre.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• I know that. I was talking about the other games in the orange box and tried to explain, why I want only Portal.

Comment

• I like Portal. I'm the only person in our household who can sing "Still Alive" on Rock Band too.
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                            Team Fortress 2 >>>> Portal

I love that they kept the classics like 2Fort.
                            I played TF2 on the 360, but the servers were lagged to hell. Are people still having that problem?
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• I think they're ok - but only because everyone is playing Halo3, GoW and CoD4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver

It's not a shooter in any but the most remote sense. You don't actually go kill anyone, you don't have weapons. It's just a first-person perspective game, but the gameplay is really 85% puzzle and 15% shooter genre.
                                A bit too easy though. They could've made more out of it had they got the time.. I think.

Old puzzle games where levels progressed towards nightmare difficulty were ubiquitous. So I have the feeling it's too bad the Portal devs stopped when levels became more complicated.

Perhaps it would be really cool if it was implemented in a shooter game. A bit like that latest Turok game (that I haven't played so far however).
                                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                                X