Hellgate: London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellgate: London

Hellgate: London is beta testing, actually only alpha is available, but they say its beta.

Anyway I started with an engineer got him to level 6. I got bored and decided to start an evoker. He's now level 7 and it has been a lot of fun, but a major time-hole.

The evoker uses "focus" weapons and casts "spells" of sorts.

The classes are:

Blademaster
    Engineer
    Summoner
    Evoker
    Marksman
    Guardian

Anyone else playing this? What do you think of it?

edited: corrected class
    Last edited by MosesPresley; October 3, 2007, 11:23.
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Is it a public alpha/beta?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You have to sign up to be randomly picked for the beta. Maybe that's why I'm stuck with the alpha.
      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Comment

I think I got signed up for it somewhat accidentally. I entered to win a PC contest with Nvidia SLI and I got the consolation prize instead: access to the alpha/beta.

Comment

I've been keeping an eye on this as it looks good, but I don't play betas these days so will wait for release.

Comment

So Moses, tell us, what's the game like?
            be free

Comment

I haven't figured out the back story yet, but you play in a very changed London.

London looks like a war zone and is a perpetually cloud covered grey wasteland. Amber lights glow from bulbous tentacled airships that cruise slowly overhead. Demons, zombies, phantoms, beasts, etc. rule the streets and attack you on sight. They enter through "Hell Rifts." You travel to Hell frequently. Hell itself is a little disappointing.

Humans are living in bunkers/safe zones (stations) that you can only enter or exit through portals. This is where you form your party if you like (you can go solo), store your booty, receive new quests, upgrade weapons and make transactions with the merchants.

I didn't play Diablo when it came out, but a lot of people are saying they are similar.

There is a mixture of technology, conjuring ie. spells and guns.

Summoners conjure up demons. Evokers use special "focus" weapons. Engineers construct bots and use guns. Marksman use guns. Blademasters dual wield swords. Guardians use swords and shields.

Stats are strength, accuracy, willpower and three? others that I can't remember.

The game seems to be balanced. Cool weapons, wasp/acid guns, lightning guns, etc.. are fairly easy to come by. Textures are a little too uniform, but that's part of the atomosphere and I'm noticing improvements to the lighting on a regular basis.

Comment

The creatures you fight are a little disappointing, but I'm still low level. Maybe they get more interesting at higher levels. Level design is uninspired, but I did play one that was really cool.

It was in a dungeon with a central well or shaft with a spiral staircase that wound down around it to other chambers. That made for some interesting fighting.

Comment

I found Dr. Who's phone booth! It was in a basement pile of rubble with the Strange Box etched over the door.

Comment

Wasp guns

Dr. Who

Blah level design

Does the beta include the whole monthly fee to be Elite in it?

Comment

From what I have read, fees will be optional. But if you pay a fee you will have access to exclusive features. Those features haven't been announced yet.

Comment

Obligatory

Comment

Yeah Kuci, that's one my fav PA's ever. The related podcast is really funny too, as they iterate over the idea behind that comic.

Comment

IIRC this is a game you can play either online or offline, so it's mainly the online crowd that will want the 'Elite' package I guess.

Comment

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

Here's a couple of screenshots and q&a with an industry insider.

Comment

Working...
                              X