Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rumour control: Microsoft to sell off Bungie (Halo developers)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great. Maybe they'll develop a good FPS then. Halo was never any good. Poor and repetitive level design, repetitive gameplay, uninspiring background/story, okay-ish weapons but nothing we haven't seen before.

Halo's succes is the biggest mystery in gameworld ever. It even pales in comparison to Half-life, released in fkn 2000 or somethin

Then again: Console gamers are in general obvious morons; or casual gamers. The latter are okay, the former's most impressive feat is managing to install their console on their tv and gettin it all to work. That leaves few brain cells for the actual gaming, unfortunately.

"An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

HL was okay, HL2 was decidedly dreadfully painfully boring and plodding with thougthless MP.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Amazing -- 3 guesses and all 3 are incredibly stupid.

1) Bungie is MS is Bungie. Comprenede?
        2) Bill Gates doesn't work for MS anymore
        3) They can't leave, they're wholly owned. If they "leave", it's because Microsoft is selling them.
        Bungie as a company can't leave. The employees can walk though.

I thought Gates was still on the Board.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

It's possible as conditions of the acquisition of Bungie that the developers could not just leave, precisely to prevent this sort of scene from happening.

Comment

When I say bungie, I am talking about the employees themselves.

When I say Bill Gates, I mean Microsoft, it's more fun that way.
            be free

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
              It's possible as conditions of the acquisition of Bungie that the developers could not just leave, precisely to prevent this sort of scene from happening.
              That would likely bind only the original Bungie owners. How many of the original Bungie people were owners? given Bungie has been in MS for some years (?) how many of the Bungie people have come on since?
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Most already left to do their own thing.
                * Double Aught was a short-lived company comprised of several former Bungie team members. It was best known for creating the Infinity scenario Blood Tides of Lhowon and for the unreleased title Duality.

* Wideload Games, creator of Stubbs the Zombie, is another company that came from Bungie. It is led by one of the two Bungie founders, Alex Seropian, and 7 out of the 11 employees previously worked at Bungie.

* Giant Bite was founded by Hamilton Chu (former lead producer of Bungie Studios), and Michal Evans (former Bungie programmer), as well as Steve Theodore (former Valve employee) and Andy Glaister (former Microsoft Game Studios employee). They have not yet announced a project.[2][3]

* Certain Affinity was announced December 13, 2006 as a new studio in Austin, Texas. Founded by Max Hoberman (the multiplayer design lead for Halo 2 and Halo 3, UI lead for Halo, and founder of Bungie's Community Team), the team of 9 includes former Bungie employees (David Bowman & Chad Armstrong) as well as folks from Digital Anvil, Turbine Artifact, Origin, and other developers. It has since released the last two maps for Halo 2.[4]

Comment

Asher, I have to say, I am kind of bewildered that you find Half Life to be "okay" and the way you praise Halo makes me think you think it deserves at least a 9/10.
                  be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                    Asher, I have to say, I am kind of bewildered that you find Half Life to be "okay" and the way you praise Halo makes me think you think it deserves at least a 9/10.
                    The best part, by far, of HL was CounterStrike.

I find HL to be okay because it was a ho-hum single player (certainly above average). HL multiplayer, sans CS and other mods, was pathetic. No co-operative play either (which is my favourite part of shooters).
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

This rumour certainly seems to have some legs. Bigger outlets reporting that the deal is done and will be announced in a couple of days. Game informer has (surprise) an informer on the inside who confirms the split.

Looks like Bungie got sick of being under Microsoft's thumb.

Microsoft: "You will make unimaginative crap, and you will keep making the same unimaginative crap. It's our business model and we don't mess with it."

Bungie: "**** you. Go throw some chairs, *******s. BTW Halo 3 sucks."

Bet we see them back at MacWorld in a couple of years looking relieved.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Grow the **** up. Jesus.

Comment

Bit of an over-reaction.

Comment

His constant MS snarkery is a tad bit puerile. I wouldn't have a problem if he always opposed MS in logical or well-presented ways, but all he does is call them "Micro****", "Microcrap", mentions Ballmer throwing chairs, etc.

When you challenge him to construct a real argument, he ignores you.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              His constant MS snarkery is a tad bit puerile.
                              Yeah, when people are snarkery about a product, game or issue every single time they post about it it can get a bit old.

Comment

Not if they convey arguments. Big difference, my Old World friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X