Depths of Peril

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depths of Peril

Anyone tried this game? It's an indie game developped by soldak entertainment, that I had never heard of, and I found it surprisingly pleasant.
    It's kind of a Diablo clone with strategy added on top: You will fight monsters, but your real enemies, those who can make you actually lose the game, are the other people in your city. You can ally yourself with them or fight them. Makes for an interesting game: Adventure and build up your strength or fight inside the city.
    Plus if you don't do the quests, others can beat you to it, and if noone prevents monsters from growing, they can attack the city, which can be a problem when there's noone left to give you experience for quests or buy and sell items.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Soldak Entertainment, Inc. - Drox Operative, Din's Curse, Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld

I'm downloading the demo now so will post some impressions later on. It sounds ok though - I felt the diablo games were a bit too pure hack and slash for me to get into, but something like them with a more detailed rpg layer should be good.

Comment

I actually think a lot of people on this forum would like Depths of Peril. It is an action RPG, but there is also a lot of strategy metagame stuff going on which gives the game a lot more depth than the typical action RPG.

You are the leader of a faction that is essentially at war with a bunch of other factions all fighting for leadership of a town of barbarians. So unlike other action RPGs, you have to use trade and diplomacy with the other factions to keep them peaceful and war and raids when you can't.
      Steven Peeler
      lead designer/programmer of Depths of Peril
      http://www.soldak.com/

Comment

First a post to make us aware of the game - then shortly thereafter a visit from the developer to convince us that this game is for us. I smell a conspiracy here

But welcome anyway Steven.

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

No conspiracy here. I just noticed the thread (Google is my friend), noticed which site it was, and decided to post something.
          Steven Peeler
          lead designer/programmer of Depths of Peril
          http://www.soldak.com/

Comment

I promise I didnt' even talk about poly' on soldak website.
            It is a good game with diplomacy to be taken into account and worth trying, since there's a free demo.
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Developers posting on forums
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

A brief take on my playing of the demo(and forgetting to post something sooner!).

Its ok, not bad at all for my personal gaming taste. If you like very magical based fantasy mechanics and hack and slash type combat then you may really like it.

Graphically it reminds me of the baldurs gate games(very decent isometric look), but it plays much quicker than those.

I'm not sure if you can multiplayer this game but it is very much designed to be played that way - the various competeing factions are a perfect setup for some hectic pvp.

maybe the control system is a little 'clunky' sometimes? It's not always clear what you can and can't do(more mouse over screen tips in the tutorial section would help a bit here) and this added complexity kind of runs against the grain of the quick 'click enemy to attack' combat.

It's way more detailed than Diablo, in just about every area, but aims to play the same quick diablo way. So if you found the baldurs gate games a little slow paced for you then this may be a game worth looking at, especially if you were to play it mp(if you can).

I prefer the slower baldurs gate myself, but I did enjoy the time I put into this game.

Oh and a tip - beware of the thiefy/raider type guild, they are nasty back stabbing scum bags!

Comment

Sounds interesting, downloading now.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

There is little story in the game if you compare to Baldur's Gate, although you can collect books which can be worth reading.
                    The designers would like to have mp for an expansion.

Comment

I don't know how I missed this thread earlier, but I'm playing it now, and it's pretty interesting,

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                      X