Final Fantasy XII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Fantasy XII

So I saw a limited edition of FF12 in gamestop for $25. I hadn't even realized this was released actually. The last one I played was X and it was kinda a letdown.

Anyone played this one? Worth the $25?

I was dramatically underleveled, got wtfpwned by an earlyish boss (this big bird thing), and haven't picked it up since (I hate levelling just to beat bosses with a passion).

Comment

Re: Final Fantasy XII

Originally posted by Kinjiru
      The last one I played was X and it was kinda a letdown.
      WTF is wrong with you?

Comment

I've heard great things about FFXII, have it actually but haven't played it yet.

But then again I enjoyed FFXI (the mmorpg) for a while so maybe i'm just odd?
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'm about 3/4 through the story and the regular hunts now. I think it's worth it if you don't mind doing a bit of grinding every now and then, because your levels will not progress quickly enough by normal play to beat the bosses. And strangely, some bosses pose an enjoyable challenge even if you are overleveled, so either they scale up or they have certain things that are challenging regardless of any level parity or disparity.

Long story short, this is the first FF in a while where I've had good fun with the bosses, since it's almost always a close battle.

You need at the very least a lot of licence points to throw at the augment board so that you'll have substantially more HP and strength and MP than a party of your level would usually have to make bosses easier.

I've played WoW for six months so I didn't really mind just grinding away a bit, and the gambit system makes normal combat almost too easy.

Doing hunts (and the killing of mobs that invariably follows) increases your level somewhat too, and you get nice items and money out of it.

I wouldn't go and compare this to any other FF and say "if you liked that you'll like this", because I can't. Also, don't get it for the story or the characters, because they are exceptionally shallow. I just like to kill time with it.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

It's supposed to be good - if I had a PS2 I'd get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
              Long story short, this is the first FF in a while where I've had good fun with the bosses, since it's almost always a close battle.
              Well that part sounds pretty good.

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
              Also, don't get it for the story or the characters, because they are exceptionally shallow. I just like to kill time with it.
              That part however, sounds terrible. The characters are kinda the whole point of an FF game. Well, that and the whole metagame around how to do make yourself bad ass, since the mechanism is different each game.

I dunno, maybe I'll wait for Advent Children on my psp. Thanks for the opinions though.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                I've heard great things about FFXII, have it actually but haven't played it yet.
                FFXII looks amazing (especially for a PS2 game) and the battle system is pretty cool. I still prefer FFX's CTB, though.

Comment

I wonder if that International Zodiac version will make its way to the US.

I haven't played this-haven't had any time until recently, and have a huge gaming backlog, but hopefully in 6 months or a year, the new version will come stateside.

Comment

Stick to the main story and a few fun side-quests.

One day, in another FF forum, I read that somebody briefly quoted a FF12 developer interview. I learned that the developers made all of these torturing rare monster spawns, drops, and chests so people will be puzzled after a few hours of failure, and come out to ask for help and exchange information -- thus they talk about this game more.

They call this "encouraging players' interaction".
                    I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                    New faces...Strange places,
                    Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                    -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Heh, I have been wondering about some of the things, they seem ridiculously convoluted for you to figure them out by your own. I thought it was just an excuse to sell those walkthrough books.

I personally have enjoyed the side quests more than the main story, not because the story is that bad, but because I just like turning the PS on and going after a certain mark and being finished in an hour. In the story-related areas you often have spots where you can't really get away from the game for a while, if only because there aren't save points (or you go into "one more boss" mode). I've also had fun with all the references to earlier FFs, having played games from the series for over ten years...
                      Last edited by Kassiopeia; August 11, 2007, 11:33.
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Well, I'm most the way through it, and while it was initially exciting, I've grown pretty bored with it to the point I doubt I'll ever finish it.

The Gambit system allows you to preset a set of commands your characters automatically do by a series of what amounts to if-then-else statements. Once you unlock enough gambits and gambit slots, then, the game pretty much plays itself. 12 slots makes it pretty easy to cover a wide range of variables.

For instance, my mage characters have something like this as their gambits:

Target Ally: Raise (automatically prioritizes raising dead first)
                        Target Ally <50%: Curaga (auto heal)
                        Target Ally: Esuna (auto status removal)
                        Target Party Leader: Protect
                        Target Party Leader: Shell
                        Target Party Leader: Regen
                        Target Party Leader: Lure (all enemies only attack leader)
                        Target Enemy Fire Weak: Firaga
                        Target Enemy Ice Weak: Blizzaga
                        Target Enemy Air Weak: Aeroga
                        Target Enemy Undead: Curaja
                        target Party Leaders target: Attack

I'll change the weaknesses around based on the area, sure. Typically run a party with 2 mages with ranged weapons and a melee party leader. Just walk up, watch em die, collect the loot. Automatic raise dead members, auto heal, auto buff, Auto nuke, and force all enemies to focus on the heavy armor leader.

I run into a boss and after seeing what they attack with, I pause the game, adjust the gambits, and other than having to call in a summon or special attack here or there, it's pretty much sit back and watch.

Yes, you can turn the gambits off, then there is too much going on to play the game real-time. Yes, you can turn it to turn-based combat, then it's aweful slow.

As for needing to level vs playing 'normal'. If you avoid using the teleporter, walk to your destinations, and do some hunts here or there, you should be able to level up just fine along the way. Being able to afford equipment, though, will be challenging.
                        One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                        You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

The one letdown for the game imo was yiazamat ... just a stupidly overpowered secret boss that takes literally hours even at high levels to beat. Once i saw his health regaining by the millions i just turned the game off and settled down with the rest of the views that i read online that it's an utter waste of time beating him.
                          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

It's like most of superbosses, you kill it "because it's there", not because it's a special experience. Did you accidentally Renew him or does he Renew himself midbattle a certain number of times? I'm personally probably going to take Yizmat on one of these days, and I'm definitely getting all the Espers and taking out Omega XII and Hell Wyrm.

Comment

No, the boss is so powerful that you can't kill him without taking hours - most strategies have you leaving multiple times and coming back. He heals quickly and has massive HP, so you do your best to hurt him as quick as possible, then leave to heal up, then go back ASAP to chip a little more life off.
                              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                              New faces...Strange places,
                              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Working...
                              X