MS to spend a billion dollars on XBox repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HB asleepathewheel!
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by gjramsey
        My first one died with the red ring of death right after the 6 month mark.

What MS is doing now is going to make things more confusing, I believe. The 3 year extended warranty is only for the 3 Red Rings of Death. Any other failures still have only 1 year coverage. So my extended warranty is either 3 years or 5 years (I think), depending on what the next failure is.
        From what I have read the xbox extended warranty only lasts for 3 years ( 1 yr standard warranty plus two years for extended). The 3 year warranty only covers the red rings of death, but your extended warranty will cover anything else during those 3 years.
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
          I think a lot of parents, if they remember this, will be quite leary of the purchase.
          Well, as a parent in the market for a gaming system this holiday season, here's one that's paying attention.

From what I've been able to gather, the Xbox problems seem to be with people who play A LOT. I keep reading about having problems after leaving it on for 5 hour stretches, etc.

If I was buying for myself alone, I would not be concerned about an Xbox at all. I play an hour, I turn it off, I come back 12-24 hours later and play an hour, rinse repeat.

My kids, however, are known to play an hour or two, go outside, leave the damn thing running for 8 hours, come back and play some more.

I don't know...Wii is looking more and more appealing from the parenting perspective. From a player perspective, it's got nothing I really to play. Meanwhile, the PS3 is dropping it's price. Don't know if that's a good or bad sign.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I have a 360. It hasn't blown up yet, but I don't spend a lot of time gaming on it. I would have bought a PS3, but they didn't come out until fairly recently.

Some of the 360 games are pretty good (Forza 2 is awesome - check out my Led Zeppelin tribute car below), and it doesn't crash a lot, but it has a few major flaws.

1) It's terrible as a media centre. The fans are ridiculously loud, which make it hopeless for playing music off of the hard drive. Believe me, it really is that bad. Sometimes it is like someone is revving a jet engine next door. From all accounts, the PS3 is better in this respect.

2) The console user interface is absolutely awful. It works pretty well, but it is hideous and not particularly efficient. Sony's Xross media bar is much better (I love the PSP's interface). YMMV with this, but it annoys the heck out of me.

3) No built in hi def DVD. If you buy the addons to bring it up to spec with the PS3, it's about the same price. But the PS3 has Blu Ray, which is the better format. This is going to create problems, since developers can't be sure that every 360 owner will have the HD drive. Every PS3 owner will, which means bigger games.

I don't think that the 3G console war is anywhere near getting started, since the PS2 is still outselling both the 360 and the PS3.

But the Wii looks mighty cool. Nintendo seem to have hit one out of the park with that machine. Looks like the tortoise might beat the hares.
            Attached Files
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

No signs of flagging from mine yet, though I haven't played it a lot for the last few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                I have a 360. It hasn't blown up yet, but I don't spend a lot of time gaming on it. I would have bought a PS3, but they didn't come out until fairly recently.

Some of the 360 games are pretty good (Forza 2 is awesome - check out my Led Zeppelin tribute car below), and it doesn't crash a lot, but it has a few major flaws.

1) It's terrible as a media centre. The fans are ridiculously loud, which make it hopeless for playing music off of the hard drive. Believe me, it really is that bad. Sometimes it is like someone is revving a jet engine next door. From all accounts, the PS3 is better in this respect.

2) The console user interface is absolutely awful. It works pretty well, but it is hideous and not particularly efficient. Sony's Xross media bar is much better (I love the PSP's interface). YMMV with this, but it annoys the heck out of me.

3) No built in hi def DVD. If you buy the addons to bring it up to spec with the PS3, it's about the same price. But the PS3 has Blu Ray, which is the better format. This is going to create problems, since developers can't be sure that every 360 owner will have the HD drive. Every PS3 owner will, which means bigger games.

I don't think that the 3G console war is anywhere near getting started, since the PS2 is still outselling both the 360 and the PS3.

But the Wii looks mighty cool. Nintendo seem to have hit one out of the park with that machine. Looks like the tortoise might beat the hares.
                Well, well, well... Look who the cat dragged in

I'd never use it to play music either. First, its loud. Second, it probably doesn't sound that good to begin with. For example, its not like there's a high-grade DAC in there. Third, there's no digital out, AFAIK. So you can't use it as a transport.

For my music needs, I have a Squeezebox. Its whipser quiet and it was built from the ground up for music. It streams the music from my computer to my stereo. It also streams internet radio. The software that powers it is open source so people frequently come up with nice plugins. And you can also use it as an internet bridge. So you can connect your Xbox on it.

It's terrible as a media centre.
                I hear its pretty good if you use it in conjunction with a Media Center PC. Of course, its not an option for you.

Meh... I like the new controller, but the games make me want to
                Last edited by Nostromo; July 11, 2007, 15:17.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I hear its pretty good if you use it in conjunction with a Media Center PC. Of course, its not an option for you.
                  Yeah it is. Connect 360 will do most of that on the Mac. I don't see the point though, since I can just plug my iPod into it.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

You'd have access to more music. Potentially better quality, too. You could rip your music in a lossless format. And you're not using up your iPod's battery for nothing.
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                      You'd have access to more music. Potentially better quality, too. You could rip your music in a lossless format. And you're not using up your iPod's battery for nothing.
                      The 360 charges the iPod while it is connected, so that is not a problem.

iTunes is heading to 256kbps DRM free, so there won't be any problem with quality, unless you want to play the music through your Quad ESLs.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                        (Forza 2 is awesome - check out my Led Zeppelin tribute car below), and it doesn't crash a lot
                        Safe driver
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

Safe driver
                          I wish I could say the same of others. My TT is a slower D class, but it has excellent grip and turns better than most D class cars that people use online.

This means I brake later in turns. It also means I always get assrammed by the car behind, where the idiot driver is using me as his timer for braking.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

iTunes is heading to 256kbps DRM free, so there won't be any problem with quality, unless you want to play the music through your Quad ESLs.
                            Well, until they sell lossless tracks without DRM, I'm not interested. That's why I still buy CD's. I buy 'em, I rip 'em in FLAC and then I never use my CD's ever again.

Comment

Working...
                            X