No announcement yet.

Doom 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just grumpy. My favorite pizza place was closed today.

While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
      maybe I need a bigger monitor, I just didn't get that effect.
      You always need a bigger monitor. You could use the screen from an abandoned drive-in movie, and you'd still need a bigger monitor. Must have bigger monitor.

Comment

The funny part is that I just don't see much difference in terms of how the game is presented from original Doom to now.

The same "pop up demons from around the corner and blow them away" is how Doom always has been.

Yet, when the game receives a face lift and keeps the same core at heart and enhances it, all of a sudden it's not so good?

Been awhile since original Doom for me so maybe i'm missing something.
        Oh well, it's good to hear different opinions.
        While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

FPS gameplay has evolved since the original Doom came out. Doom 3 was too old-school for my taste.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
            FPS gameplay has evolved since the original Doom came out. Doom 3 was too old-school for my taste.
            Now there's a good point. I actually agree. I just don't see how you could like old Doom and not like 3.

If your beef is that it is too linear/predictable etc.. then your beef is with Doom in general, not Doom3. All it did was give a damn good face lift to the spirit of the game.

Comment

Well, I couldn't play the original Doom anymore and enjoy it. Computer games are like any other technological products: they become obsolete with time. And its not just the graphics, the UI or the AI, but its the gameplay also.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

If your beef is that it is too linear/predictable etc.. then your beef is with Doom in general, not Doom3. All it did was give a damn good face lift to the spirit of the game.
                Perhaps you don't remember the 1 on 100 killfests that doted the original Doom maps.

Sometimes I don't feel like tackling utility tunnel mazes and wondering down dark corridors for hours. I would rather just fire up the game, run around with a chainsaw for five minutes, and look back at a pile of 1000 festering corpses with pride. Awesome after a hard day at work.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Perhaps you don't remember the 1 on 100 killfests that doted the original Doom maps.

Sometimes I don't feel like tackling utility tunnel mazes and wondering down dark corridors for hours. I would rather just fire up the game, run around with a chainsaw for five minutes, and look back at a pile of 1000 festering corpses with pride. Awesome after a hard day at work.
                  Hmmm....I seem to vaguely remember that now. Of course that's why I loved serious sam, but that's another show..

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                    No, the game can be creepy, especially as it's so dark and you have to switch to use the flashlight.

But it stops being creepy as soon as you realise it's just using exactly the same mechanic to scare you. Over. And. Over. Again.

For a really atmospheric game dig out the old classic System Shock 2 (I think it's free). Now there's a game that can set you on edge for hours after playing it.
                    Yeah, and there's a mod out there vastly improving the graphics so it looks smoother and more immersive (detailed and more varied textures etc). I never got very far though: got stuck rather early on, but I do remember it being quite spookeh
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                    X