Civilization 5 - WoW style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization 5 - WoW style.

I would really like to see Civilization in full 3D with huge scale lands, the size of WoW.

For WoW players, next time you play WoW, have a look around you, the lands, the mountains, trees, rivers, cities, towns.

Let's imagine this:

4000BC
    You start as a human character, you see through his eyes, no longer at a birds eye view. Surrounding you are say, 100 other people, females, males, children, your followers.

Your first task is to find a suitable land to settle, so you begin walking, your people follow you. (This alone is cool. ). You know where there are mountains there are rivers, and where there are rivers there are tree's and food. So you and your people head towards the mountain range seen in the far distance. On the way, some of your people get lost, get angry (split off, starting a new tribe of people), die of hunger, so you need to be quick in finding your desired spot.

You come to it; when this happens, (maybe signified by planting a stick into the ground), your people begin to work automatically, cutting tree's, gathering food (fish from river, berries, or hunting for game). It is here you begin to strategise your first steps to building the tribe.
    Maybe constructing a granary, simple palace for yourself, training a portion of men for battle, etc. Your usual Civ stuff.

So, your people will do things automatically, but you do have direct control and general control. Micromanagement is not an issue. Things are slow, like all Civ games are, you don't have to panic like RTS's, even though this 3D Civ game, is infact RTS, there is just no need for it to be TBS since the world is so large.

Fast foward, your tribe has reached a large population, buildings everywhere, plantations everywhere, roads to popular places; you decide you need a 2nd city, so again, general control, you decide to put together 2000 people, and send them off to build another settlement. Of these 2000 people, you assign one of them as a leader, this leader, is now your 2nd pair of eyes, since you can't be everywhere, you instead have the ability to see through the eyes of different leaders in your civilization. So you settle your 2nd city, if you want to manage that city, you switch to the leader of that city.

Now, fun parts come, when one day (one day would be considered 1 turn in Civ time I guess), you hear the sound of the horn, you run up to your outlook, and see over the horizon a large army, preparing to attack your city. automatically, your people are prepared to attack, just like in Civ, but you do have general control, you decide to send troops into the forest outside the city, in hopes of ambushing.

===

Anyway, I think this could seriously work, again, there's no micromanagement, there's no rushing when you don't need to rush, of course during war you're going to get your heart pumping, but thats war and thats life. What I would like to see in Civ is real attachment to your creation, real involvement, better satisfication, and of course the "wow factor"; can you imagine a modern city sprawled out, rockets into space, etc? It can all be done, the technology is here, WoW proves that; Will Firaxis dare to take the jump up? I really hope so!
    be free

I would really like to see Civilization in full 3D with huge scale lands, the size of WoW.

nononononononononono

Comment

Kuci, chess is chess, if Civ5 is just going to be your typical isometric, tiled game, its going to be the same thing as its always been, only slightly better. What is the point seriously? Civ has reached its limit with Civ4, if you want that "slightly better" you simply mod it, that's why they made it so moddable.

For Civ to become something truly impressive, it needs to go WoW style.
      be free

Comment

Civ has reached its limit with Civ4

That's an absurd assertion.

Comment

I over-argued you, please move over.
          be free

Comment

I always find it much harder to keep a grip on the information in 3D games/WoW style games. I'm sure it's just a question of the right interface but so far they've not worked for me in games like Civ which are stat heavy. It might look nice but I'd worry about how to manage a dozen cities and all the units.

Mainly though i think a Real time Civ wouldn't be Civ it would be the Sims or Populous or the Civ City Rome game even.

And i quite like micro management

Comment

A decent arguement, thanks. See Kuciwalker? That's how you debate.

True, TBS is what makes Civ, but like I said before, it's time for Civ to step up.
              be free

Comment

From what I understand of Spore, it's a non-grid 3D environment so I suppose we'll see how well that will play out with a civ-like game.
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                  I over-argued you, please move over.
                  You seem to be the sort of person who only cares about graphics, so maybe you're right in your own little world, but the rest of us care about actual gameplay. In that arena, there is still plenty to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                    A decent arguement, thanks. See Kuciwalker? That's how you debate.
                    Wow, you're an idiot if you can't see that they were entirely different points.

Comment

What makes a Civ game a Civ game is that it is turn-based and viewed from above, on a grid-based system.
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Sn00py your brain is dirty, pour bleach on it.

Comment

Sounds a bit too much like the Sims to me.

Comment

This thread makes me laugh. Especially after sn00py's comment in the other thread (SimCity).

TBS games are about gameplay and strategy. You would take the focus away from strategy if you placed it in a WoW type world as you suggest. That, and you are going to end up alienating the real Civ fans and probably not gaining all that many more fans from other areas...

Perhaps a real man should step up and make some Civ5 suggestions
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, I think the First Snoopy has scored a bit of an own goal there, to level the score at 1-1.

Comment

Working...
                              X