I started playing EA NHL hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started playing EA NHL hockey

1999, dont laugh. I got it free via freecycle, same time I got HL. POTM was using the new desktop last night, the laptop is on the fritz, so i wanted to go back to the dino, and wasnt inclined to fire up MI4 again, not wanting to be have two game stories to follow at once. So I installed the hockey game.

Thoughts

1. Generally more fun than I expected. A good subject matter, and a reasonable implementation. This was not only my first hockey game, I think it was my first sports game.

2. I assume it was made for console and ported to the PC? The key usage makes me think so - Ive never played a game not originally made for PC, I dont think, so Im not sure

3. Needed a better tutorial, and at least a clearer display of available moves and associated keys.

4. The fight part was lame and pointless

5. Not really getting the hang of playing defense, seems better to let the AI do. Offense is mucho fun, though. Just played an exhibition on easy, so no player fatigue yet, much less season type concerns.

6. I played the Caps, yay for Peter Bondra!

7. the arena pics are a nice touch.

8. Yes, if I really got into this, it could maybe one day persuade me to buy a console.

9. I also have the 2001 game, but tried this first, partly out of OCDness, but partly cause I wanted to install a game I knew for sure would run on the dino
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

iirc, EA 99 was a good one. I owned that one and played it. I think EA NHL got lousier post-2000 or so, but a Real Hockey Fan® could tell you better.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I just don't have a long attention span with sports games. but they are fun for a while.

Comment

I really hope you aren't blowing off HL for this.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
          I really hope you aren't blowing off HL for this.
          well HL is on the new desktop, thatr POTM was using at the time, and while HL might well run on the dino (?) i wasnt about to start a new game.

But anyway, its not like I had a craving to try out HL's jumping puzzle, rather than play hockey
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
          X