Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I going to have to buy Vista to play new games or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I going to have to buy Vista to play new games or what?

And has Vista been pirated yet? .

I have never bought windows, but I may have to. . Though I guess you could say I bought windows when I used to buy computers in the 90's. As the purchase price includes the cost of having windows installed on the machine.

How much does it cost? Probably the cost of buying 3 games. . I'm going to wait as long as posible before buying Vista and new games.

I don't think you'll *need* Vista for a good while. DX10 will probably be helpful-but-not-required for a long time, and any game developer that makes it required is an idiot until Vista penetration is at least 50-60% (as any game that requires Vista automatically limits its player base to that percent).
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

yeah, I only heard of one game this year that will need DX10, I bet it will run on dx9 too. Can't imagine that they'll be targeting such a small audience.
      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

At the moment I know of one game that will require Vista: Halo 2. Microsoft could easily put this one out for XP, since it ran on the original Xbox, but they are making it Vista only. The only games I know of that are including DirectX 10 features (like Crysis) are definitely including DirectX 9 rendering paths so you won't need it for that. I've even read that someone had hacked part of DX10, allowing it to be installed and run under XP. I'm not buying the new OS either, not for a while. I expect another year or so before I purchase.
        Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

PC Gamer confirmed that Universe at War : Earth Assault will require Vista.

Think they also mentioned one more game won't work on XP.

Comment

Gears of War will probably require Vista too.

Comment

You should wait getting Vista until decent video drivers has been released

Originally posted by Dis
              And has Vista been pirated yet? .
              ... No

You can probably find a copy everywhere by now
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I heard there were some activation problems with pirated copies of Vista. At least that's what Microsoft want us to believe

Asmodean
                Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                  I heard there were some activation problems with pirated copies of Vista
                  Haven't had any problems with the activation... only "problem" I have with my copy is that it says "Evaluation copy" in the bottom right corner of the desktop

At least that's what Microsoft want us to believe
                  ... and you believe anything they say? They also said they had low sales because of piracy, but a lot of people didn't even want to have a legal copy for free

Comment

It will be a small number of games for a while yet. I'm waiting till the video driver problems are fixed and then when I upgrade next (looking like the end of this year) I'll probably install Vista.

Comment

As a fitting start to this blog, I'm proud to release a preview of our DirectX 10 compatibility libraries. These libraries allow the use of DirectX 10 games on platforms other than Microsoft Vista, and increase hardware compatibility even on Vista, by compiling Geometry Shaders down to native machine code for execution where hardware isn't capable of running it. No longer will you have to upgrade your OS and video card(s) to play the latest games.
                      I have no idea about the technicalities, but this looks promising.
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

... and you believe anything they say?
                        Notice the smiley in my post
                        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Notice the smilie at the end of that line too

Comment

Having managed to trash my second machine and its non standard power supply I'm looking at a new PC. Always fun and this time I'm actually allowed to buy it!

Big question is Vista or XP and which gfx card - dx9 or dx10?

I'm thinking about a 8800 (the 320Mb version of course) but i guess you pay a premium still. I'm also edging towards Vista on at least one machine as it will be useful for work although there's no Vista roleout planned at my company for a while.

I'm not a big fan of 3D games so the DX10 card would for future proofing for a couple of years. The alternative is something like a 7900GS.

ANyone else taken the plunge yet?

Comment

I heard there were some activation problems with pirated copies of Vista. At least that's what Microsoft want us to believe
                              I just spent a couple days helping a guy in my hall who pirated Vista get a legit OS on his system because Vista disabled itself

Comment

Working...
                              X