History of computer RPG's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of computer RPG's

Its on Gamasutra. Its pretty long. It brought back good memories... It almost convinced me to give Fallout 2 a chance.

Part one:

Explore the latest news and expert commentary on Features, brought to you by the editors of Game Developer

Part two:

Explore the latest news and expert commentary on Features, brought to you by the editors of Game Developer

Part three:

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Just devoured the lot. A great read!

Comment

I'm soon finished with the first part. A great and interesting read!
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Nice read indeed. I am installing Arena because of that, and think of trying to reinstall Fallout2 on my new comp to see if I can get it to work despite the **** copy protection which insists on not finding the CD I put in the drive...
        Clash of Civilization team member
        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I'm sure that the internet could suggest ways to "fix" that. All of which I am sure are completely legal.
          I changed my signature

Comment

haven't read it yet, but I will. There have been some great games I have not played. Never played Arena or daggerfall. They seemed pretty advanced for the time. Such large worlds.

I started off with the bard's tale II. Never played the first one, but watched my brother play it. Played a little bit of bt3, but not much. I was too young to properyly understand and have any skill at rpg's (I still am actually), so never finished either. Played Wasteland, never got by the scorpitron in Las Vegas. This is all on the c64 btw.

Joined the navy, never had a comp for a long time. Really did not play any RPG's untill fallout and fallout2. Then BG2, Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind, Icewind dale 1 and2, Planescape: torment, Aracnum, KOTOR1 and 2, and now a mmorpg (wow). I guess you could include Diablo in those, but it's more of an action game than rpg. I also played a diablo clone, can't remember name. There was this french rpg I tried playing, but couldn't get into. I don't like spell casting to be that complicated. I don't want to draw shapes on the screen.

favs were probably fallout 1 and 2, BG2 and 3, Kotor 1 and 2. Games like planescape and Arcanum were interesting worlds. But the combat in those games wasn't much fun. But they are worth a try if you guys haven't played them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
              There was this french rpg I tried playing, but couldn't get into. I don't like spell casting to be that complicated. I don't want to draw shapes on the screen.
              Arx Fatalis?
              Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

yeah that's it.

Comment

Working...
                X