The Longest Journey, Vol 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Longest Journey, Vol 3?

I just ran across this news story on Gamespot (while hard at work surfing the internet ). It appears that Funcom does plan on a third installment of the adventure game series, but they're planning on releasing it as a series of downloadable episodes, with the boxed set only coming out after they are all released. I'm not certain if I like or hate the idea. On the plus side, it allows for an easier development cycle and cheaper distribution, but what if the plug gets pulled in the middle? I think that would be worse than leaving it with the loose ends from Dreamfall.

Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

It's an interesting idea. Odd that it's getting government funding (if only the UK was so generous) but ultimately its success will depend on the game's story - and Dreamfall was a step down from The Longest Journey.
    mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

I never made it through the second one. The combat was a PITA and I hit a puzzle where I just could find the answer, so I put it down.

Comment

I heard it was easy and with few puzzles. I haven't actually got around to playing it as the rumour was it left everything hanging.

Comment

It wasn't "oh, I can't figure out the puzzle", it was "I can't find the little widget I need to click on."

Comment

I still haven't finished The Longest Journey.
            Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

There were some very tough parts in Dreamfall, I remember one point in the caves where me and my ex-gf were stuck for about a week! And I am a long experienced adventurer (dating back to the good old days of the Quests!).

In the end we had to go search up a walkthrough to get past it, when we read the answer, we realised we would never have made it past, the solution was just too obscure/silly. I can't remember what it was.

I liked Longest Journey, Dreamfall was trying hard to be deep but ended up shallow, like a dark pond.

I hope for:
              More future stuff
              More fantasy stuff in wide open spaces
              Comedy
              Cut the boyfriends / love / family problems crap
              Less political / evil lord / queen crap
              be free

Comment

I was stuck in a cave.

Comment

It was easy, apart from some poorly designed stuff in the caves, which was tedious and took too long. There wasn't so much 'hunt the pixel', more 'figure out the annoying control scheme'. Fighting was also irritating, but at least it was easy.
                  mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

Originally posted by Quillan
                    but they're planning on releasing it as a series of downloadable episodes, with the boxed set only coming out after they are all released
                    Just great... one of Dreamfalls big let-downs was the ending, and now they make the sequel into episodes, which gives them the option to not only make one bad ending, but several bad endings for a sequel

I don't like games with episodes, when I start a new game I want to be sure that there is an ending to the game too, I don't want to install a new episode each 2-3 months (This is the reason why I haven't touched that Sam and Max game)

Is this "no ending in adventure games" contagious? Seems like too many adventure games has been infected with that disease, just look at the sequel to Runaway (the dream of the turtle), the game ends when the story begins (it ends with the words "To be continued")
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X