Two player RPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two player RPG?

Pencil and paper type, that is, not computer.

Anybody ever tried it with just a GM and one player? My fiancee wants to play a 2e AD&D campaign, but we don't know anyone around here who's still playing it (or much of anything, really.) I can GM, but I remember when I was really young one of my cousins would GM for just me playing some D20 system or another (Heroes Unlimited? GURPS? Something...) and it wasn't all that fun. He wasn't a great GM either, though, so that could have been part of it.

So anyway, anybody ever tried it and gotten decent results? If so, do you have any tips on what to do or not to do to make it work?
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

I've not done it much, but some people I used to know did 2 player sessions sometimes. Being a great GM is pretty important, particularly for "solo" adventures - I think there are some prescripted adventures written for solo adventurers, but I'm not entirely sure. That would probably be the best way to go I'd think - get a prewritten adventure, and both of you play characters; with one of the prewritten ones you have less GM involvement then one you're making up yourself.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Something like http://www.rpgarchive.com/index.php?page=adv1&advid=485 for example (though that's star wars) would be the way to go.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hmm...I've not tried being both GM and playing a character. I'll look around for some campaigns, though.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Find Pekka and get him to GM for you.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Dear God.

Comment

You could advertise for more players at a comic store/somewhere equally suitable. When I was a teen, our DM got into conversation with some French students at Forbidden Planet, and so out group went round to their flat for a game once. Loads of fun, but obviously you may get a weirdo, so I'd suggest you both try to join an existing group than build your own.

Comment

Try the local library too.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

2e sucks. Go back to 1e or play home-brew.

Anyway, the joy of GMing for a gf should be her interaction with the world you've envisioned. Unless she's the kind who just wants to kill somethin'.
                  (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                  (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                  (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                  X