Wesnoth 1.2.1 is great.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wesnoth 1.2.1 is great.

The latest version of Wesnoth (1.2.1) was released recently. It is much better than previous 1.0.2. It is better balanced, and there are many multiplayer improvements. Wesnoth is becoming my favourite game of all times.
    The role of luck is high in this game, but the tactical depth is just amazing. And it has the best multiplayer I experienced.
    money sqrt evil;
    My literacy level are appalling.

Still looks like ass.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Do you manage to play some mulitplayer games online without waiting forever or having the partner hang up in the middle of the game?
      Last I tried it would be uncommon to be able to finish a game online, which was annoying.
      I also finished most of the campaigns, I'm not really keen on replaying them. What's really new wrt 1.0.2?
      Asher, the looks of the game don't matter here. Gameplay does. Go play Dominions III if you want to see what a great and ugly game is.
      Clash of Civilization team member
      (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I finish most of the online games I start. Just find the right partner.

And Wesnoth looks great with it's stylish retro graphics. 3D would kill it like it killed Worms.
        money sqrt evil;

Comment

Wesnoth is one of the better tactical MP games. You just have to choose or create a small map to play on. As far as i can remember most games lasted less than an hour and we rarely had a dropout or gamehang.

General Ludd and I had some fun with the pre 0.9 versions some time back. "Get those drakes some classes!!!"
          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Thanks for the headsup muxec - i had forgotten about this, when i first heard of it it was in an early stage so i had not tried it. And don't mind about Asher - he's a graphics junky, over pretty much everything else

I'm not that interested in MP(kinda for the reasons LDiCesare mentioned), but does it have a decent single player aspect to it? I couldn't really find that info on the site?
            Last edited by El_Cid; February 10, 2007, 13:58.

Comment

The SP campaigns were very decent. I think I must check it to see what's new in there.
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I've actualy been very impressed with the quality of the graphics and sound+music(to go contrary to Asher's view - not that that is surprising).
                The scrolling in places is a bit sticky(like in the credits list) and the load times seem quite long for a game of its type? But then i'm running it on a PIII600 so maybe my specs are boarderline?

It seems nice and simple to play, good production values for an open source project - and free to boot; I can't see how it's not worth having.

Comment

I find it to be very slow when compared to the previous versions. I know my computer is old, but still. May be worth for the new scenarios, but otherwise I'd a well stick to 1.0.2.

Comment

LDiCesare, try Wesnoth for Linux, it is much faster.
                    money sqrt evil;

Comment

Tried out the 1.2.1 release, the graphics are a bit better compared to 0.9, some incremental updates and it seems to have acquired some extra scenarios as well. I also like the way you can download additional maps and scenarios from the main menu.

8/10 score in my book (previously i would have given it 7/10)
                      Last edited by CapTVK; February 11, 2007, 18:00.
                      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

Well, the past week I've been checking out some of the scenarios, done a bit of MP (a relief that I can still win a match now and then in MP ) and how the development is going on the forums. The Wesnoth community has now gathered critical mass and has come up with some creative designs that go beyond regular SP scenarios. I've seen an empire building variant of wesnoth, a vertical scrolling variant of wesnoth (2p fight your way to the top while the bottom gets swallowed by lava!), various 4-8p MP "arena" games and true MP teamup scenarios (although i'm not sure how you motivate playing the dark side). I'm wondering what they'll come up with in the future.

Comment

Finally got around to installing this although it had been on my hard drive zipped up so long I was several versions out of date.

As with everyone else been really impressed with this slice of retro gaming. Enough tactical subtlety and classes to keep it interesting for quite a while.

Don't play multiplayer but there seem to be quite a few SP ones available. Started on two brothers as it was billed as an introductory one but it was a bit disappointing and didn't explain a lot of the mechanics.

Currently playing through Heir to the Throne. Started on medium and really struggled but easy is just a bit too easy.

Of course once you start you want more features. The one I really struggle with is that you can't entrench/fortify when defending. Sitting still in a defensive position just doesn't seem to be practical. I'd have hoped that an archer sitting in a castle would have a longer life expentency than mine seem to have. I am learning to run away more now at night but I still keep forgetting how easy it is to lose units. I think I'm still getting use to how mobile most units are.

Comment

They are on release 1.2.3 now.

And 1.3.1 is in beta stage.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by CapTVK
                              Wesnoth is one of the better tactical MP games. You just have to choose or create a small map to play on. As far as i can remember most games lasted less than an hour and we rarely had a dropout or gamehang.

General Ludd and I had some fun with the pre 0.9 versions some time back. "Get those drakes some classes!!!"
                              That game was nasty
                              I changed my signature

Comment

Working...
                              X