age of sail - any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• age of sail - any thoughts?

I keep seeing this around for $10 at the stores (the original, I guess? with an expack, I think) Anyone played it? any good?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

I haven't played it (not my genre), but here's some info from the web:
    GameSpy, GameStats, and IGN all have the same blurb:
    Not all the elements of this game have gelled into a satisfying whole, but it's a worthwhile game for any nautical buff.
    Computer Games Magazine (09/1997) gave it a 3 out of 5.
    I do remember vaguely the ads. The graphics looked pretty good for its time. I believe they included nearly every nation that had any semblance of a navy during the period covered, and the ships ranged from small sloops to huge four-masted juggernauts.
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

If your in the market for a 'tall ship' combar simulator, then i think it's the only decent choice. The second one Age of Sail II seems the best of the bunch from what people have said about it.

I tended to like the pirate themed Sea Dogs type of games that the same publisher released a little later - they also have sailing and combat in old wooden ships but in a pirate rpg type setting.

In that series i would recomend Sea Dogs + the first Pirates of the Caribbean game(by bethesda). The latest Age of Pirates has too many problems imho. If you do think about these games check out the forums at:

Buy a domain and see how a premium domain can be the best investment. Your business starts here. Buy a domain today.

For some great mods for these games.

A modern day sailing simulation that is very good is Virtual Sailor:

but it doesn't have classic wooden tall ships, cannons or pirates.

Comment

Re: age of sail - any thoughts?

Originally posted by lord of the mark
        I keep seeing this around for $10 at the stores (the original, I guess? with an expack, I think) Anyone played it? any good?
        I think you have enough good games lined up already. A bit of focus would do you wonders.

Comment

I suppose. But Im tiring of all the sidequests in BG2, and have gotten back to the main plotline, so I should have the end in sight soon. Its getting a little silly playing EU2 repeatedly now that EU3 is out. The world situation has not evolved to the point were Divided Ground isnt depressing.

Now a lot of my gaming time is spent in the same room where POTM is doing her homework, (which means it doubles as making sure shes on task time) AOK and MI4 have been distracting for her, so I tend not to play them in my most abundant gaming time.

Oh, Ive still got HOI, I guess.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Let PotM do her homework in her own room?

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
              Let PotM do her homework in her own room?
              Long story.

Comment

A-ha, in her own room she plays the Sims instead of working. I told you it would end in tears.

Comment

actually shes gotten better lately about getting her homework done in her room, but now that im deep into BG2, i dont have the craving to load up AOK or MI4.

Which I guess is an argument against buying Age of Sail. But I do find the management of a war ship in that era fascinating. Maybe later then.

Comment

and later it is.

saw it for only $8.49 at Target, figured it wont be on the shelves anymore (the problem with mail ordering games from Amazon, is the shipping charge is too high for a game thats $10 or less, and I cant always find a second title I want from the same store - maybe I should get Steam or something) so I bought it. Age of Sail 2 that is. Shouldnt have any trouble running it on this rig.

Comment

Does this mean you've now tired of Crusader Kings? Don't know where you find the time in between starting all these threads and arguing with Asher

Comment

Originally posted by Standup
                        Does this mean you've now tired of Crusader Kings? Don't know where you find the time in between starting all these threads and arguing with Asher
                        No, im still playing CK. This is for the future. I dont think Im spending that much more time gaming than most folks here. (see http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=1) I also rarely watch TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Standup
                          I think expansion is soon coming out: Arguing with Asher - SSBB sales.

Comment

I've just bought Pirates.

You may laugh, but it was only for £4, so worth a punt, as long as I try to avoid dancing for as long as I can. Unlike in real life....

It was fun on the ST, but as a proud Amiga owner then I had to wait for the few times I went round my mate's house so I could play it.

Comment

It was on the Amiga too.

Comment

Working...
                              X