What is the appeal of The Sims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the appeal of The Sims?

Why is it that every time I look at a sales chart, The Sims 2 and all of its little expansion packs are dominating? Why do people keep buying this game?
    Sure, it can be amusing for a while. Certainly not amusing enough to merit buying an expansion pack (or five).

Why?!
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Mostly to torture DrSpike

I suspect people like the whole living out another's life thing... also that it's an easy to play game that's not particularly competitive, meaning it appeals to a relatively underserved market. IE, it's one of few games (Movies is another) that appeals to someone other than teenage boys or aged teenage boys
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

incoming Spike...

While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Sims appeals to older women who sit around the house. I learned this from the Sims internet forums.

Comment

And younger women...
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

no usually older ones with nothing to do

Comment

Re: What is the appeal of The Sims?

Originally posted by Tacc
              Why is it that every time I look at a sales chart, The Sims 2 and all of its little expansion packs are dominating? Why do people keep buying this game?
              Sure, it can be amusing for a while. Certainly not amusing enough to merit buying an expansion pack (or five).

Why?!
              women

I did have fun with it for a little while, but no desire to buy any expansion packs. In fact, the sequal really wasn't that different from the original (aspirations being the main difference). It still takes a 1/2 hour to take a piss.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                Sims appeals to older women who sit around the house. I learned this from the Sims internet forums.
                why were you hanging around sims internet forums? picking up on milfs?

Comment

My theory: The Sims is a virtual dollhouse for people who are too old (or embarassed) to play with real dolls. My 13-year-old daughter spends lots of time creating families, building houses for them, and leading them through their lives (she always uses the money cheat so she's not constrained by cash). She waits eagerly for each expansion pack, and trots dutifully out to the store to buy it.

She always loved playing with dolls when she was younger, but had trouble persuading her brother, my wife, or me to play with her. Now the computer will always play whenever she wants to, for as long as she wants. If she tires of a particular family's story, she moves on to another one. The game has zero appeal for me, but it sure works for her.

Comment

Exactly, as Dave says. I don't think there's any other game as popular with pre-teen and teenage girls. They're not the first group of people you imagine as the audience for games, but with The Sims, it seems to actually be the case.

Comment

And with that they created the ideal moneymaker. I´m not a big fan of the Sims but i admire the concept. The Sims was original at the time...well not if you count "little computer people" from the 80´s.
                      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Yeah, the real cash-cow power comes from the fact that, as they verified, expansions sell very well while adding almost nothing in terms of quality and only adding quantity. An expansion with more stuff to buy, decorate homes with and such sells well - it doesn't need to have gameplay changes, the audience probably doesn't even want gameplay changes.

Comment

I don't think there's much gameplay to change Perhaps except for minor balance issues, but again there's not much to balance

The wonders of the sandbox I really wonder why they don't just enable sandbox mode (money cheat) permanently and make it an option you can select to NOT have active, instead of the other way around. Probably make a lot of people happy
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

My neice knew the money cheat when she was 4 years old. So the Sims has a functional purpose - to increase the computer literacy of its users (slightly).
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              Mostly to torture DrSpike
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X