Best Games of 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Games of 2006

As the year comes to an end, people start posting lists of best games of the year. Here's one example:

1. Gears of War
    2. Resistance: Fall of Man
    3. Company of Heroes
    4. Wii Sports
    5. Medieval II: Total War
    6. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    7. Big Brain Academy
    8. Okami
    9. Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
    10. Call of Duty 3

To me, some of the best games were Viva Pinata, Wii Sports, and Guitar Hero 2.

What do you think?
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Best PC games... (I mean, who cares about toys?)

Medieval II: Total War
    Company of Heros
    Guildwars: Nightfall
    Neverwinter Nights 2
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Gamespot.com:

Best PC games nominees:

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

Company of Heroes
      GTR2
      Medieval 2: Total War
      Neverwinter Nights 2
      The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Their winner was Company of Heroes

Their game of the year was Gears of War (from what I've read, I think they'll win a ton of awards this year)
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

IGN has Company of Heroes as its PC Game of the Year as well, with the runners up being: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, GTR 2, and Medieval II: Total War.

Gamespy's Top 10 PC Games:

1) Company of Heroes
        2) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
        3) Half Live 2: Episode One
        4) Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators
        5) Neverwinter Nights 2
        6) Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords
        7) Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War -- Dark Crusade
        8) Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
        9) GTR 2
        10) Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy

Gamespy's Top 10 overall games:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
        2. Company of Heroes (PC)
        3. Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
        4. Gears of War (Xbox 360)
        5. Okami (PS2)
        6. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360)
        7. Guitar Hero II (PS2)
        8. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC)
        9. Half-Life 2: Episode One (PC)
        10. Viva Pinata (Xbox 360)
        Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; December 30, 2006, 00:22.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

GCII
          Oblivion
          The rest: :blah:
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

How come I have not heard much about Company of Heroes if it is so good?
            be free

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
              Best PC games... (I mean, who cares about toys?)

Medieval II: Total War
              Company of Heros
              Guildwars: Nightfall
              Neverwinter Nights 2
              Haven't played them all yet but looks like a sensible list!

Comment

My top ten list for 2006 is:

1. Civilization IV.
                2. Civilization IV.
                3. Civilization IV.
                4. Civilization IV.
                5. Civilization IV.
                6. Civilization IV.
                7. Civilization IV.
                8. Civilization IV.
                9. Civilization IV.
                10. Civilization IV.

I honestly do not understand how people find time to play anything else. Okay, I did play Fire Emblem as well, but that was during lunch breaks.

I might move onto Warlords sometime in 2008, otherwise I can't really see myself playing anything else for awhile.
                Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

How come I have not heard much about Company of Heroes if it is so good?
                  Maybe like me you saw the screen shots and dismissed it as a FPS in the syle of all the other WW2 shooters ??

Comment

It seems like there aren't as many games being made as there used to be. I get the impression that those top ten lists are really scraping the bottom of the barrel simply because there isn't alot to choose from.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                      My top ten list for 2006 is:

1. Civilization IV.
                      That would be 2005

Civ IV is the game I've played the most in 2006, most games this year are just your typical 2-weeks games... after 2 weeks you go back civ'ing
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I didn't buy a single game in 2006 which I would call great, or even deserving a honorable mention. NWN2 has the best potential for greatness, after it gets fixed in two years or so. Oblivion is an utter disappointment. I postponed the purchase for M2TW until it hits the 10€ bin.

Comment

That's because you refuse to buy Nightfall, the game of 2006.

Comment

I haven't played much of the new games, I tend to replay favorites, but I did buy GalCiv II, and I was able to play a few of the new ones at my brother's place.

1. GalCiv II. Kept me occupied for a long time, and designing your own ships is fun!

2. Viva Pinata. That's right, Viva Pinata. It's supposed to be a kiddie game, and it does that very well, but it has the power to draw in and hold the attention of any adult foolish enough to watch the kiddies play. This game was by far the most played over the Christmas weekend. By everyone.

3. Lego Star Wars II. Fun to play, silliness abounds. Leia vs. Leia slapfights rock!

My brother was impressed with Oblivion and Gears of War, and I liked what I saw, so make them 4 and 5.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                              That's because you refuse to buy Nightfall, the game of 2006.
                              I have enough games on my shelf which I didn't play yet as much as they deserve. Civ4 with or without Warlords being one of them. So no new games for now, and especially no online RPGs. I told you once or twice, that I play only one online RPG at a time, and for now that slot is occupied.

I shelved NWN2 on too, after playing through the OC once, and half through thrice. I wait for decent modules.

Comment

Working...
                              X