Xbox360: Did I just waste $50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox360: Did I just waste $50?

So, i put NHL 07 into my Xbox360, which I have stranding upright for the first time in forever.

I jostle the xbox by accident, it kinda goes tipsy. Scratching noises occur.

The disc is now unreadable. Is there anyway to fix this disc, or do I have to resort to buying it again?
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Yeah, 360s are known for scratching discs easily when standing vertically, I'm sorry to say.

Are you sure you can't return it to the store for replacement?

As for fixing the disc... Well, I've seen some gadgets in electronics stores that claim to repair CD scratches, but I've never used them myself and don't know anyone who has, though a a friend of a friend apparently uses one to good effect.

FWIW, here's one of them things I found:

Not sure it's worth it though, especially after reading those reviews there.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

Most sensible companies repair scratched discs if it's under the warranty period.

EA does not.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Vovan: I wouldn't trust that thing.

I might just go hockey less on my xbox untill the next year's installments come out

Comment

Did you buy it recently? If so, return it. Tell them the damn thing doesn't work. They'll probably give you a new one. Just don't tell them you scratched it.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Even better, I if was purchased recently, say you got it for xmas and it did not work out of the box.
            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Nope, no such luck. I bought it in September.

Comment

Ouch!

Sorry, Ninot. Try the scratch fixing stuff to see if it'll work.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So its basically Microsoft's fault, with that POS DVD drive not working as advertized.
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Discs that are scratched only in the covering plastic may well be repairable by the normal cheap methods (obtainable from any decent electronics or music store) ie Scratch Doctor or whatever ... it's just plastic, and it's easily repaired that way. Depending on how complicated the scratches are of course.

I don't see why you think EA should replace the disc, Asher. Many companies will as a customer service, but it's certainly not EA's responsibility to do so, warranty wise. EA didn't make a shoddy disc, rather it was damaged by the user's equipment. Microsoft bears responsibility, if anyone does. EA is the market leader and has no real need to gain market share, so they don't bother with it.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I was well aware that standing my XBOX360 vertically ran the risk of scratching the disk, if it should ever be jostled. I forget if I read this on a forum or official documentation, but I think the risk is mine. I wouldn't make a company pay up for my fault.

Comment

I would still try to take it back for exchange. Just say you got it as a gift and it did not work out of the box. I mean I've bought xmas gifts earlier than that.
                        We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
                          I would still try to take it back for exchange. Just say you got it as a gift and it did not work out of the box.
                          I would not do that, as that would be lying.
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

A friend of mine suggested renting the game, and switching the scratched up disc with the good one.

Except that, I think i'm the only person who rents xbox360 games at my local rental place. And I've known those people for years, so I'd feel like a real jerk if I should screw them.

Comment

Try the CD scratch fixer thing. It'll probably work.
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X