Educate me on karam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate me on karam

My wife and I were having dinner with friends the other night and I spotted a game board that I had never seen. The friend told me that it was for a game called "karam," and gave me a short description as to how she had played as a child (she had inherited the board). She did not have any idea of the history of the game, where it originated, or what the actual rules were. A quick google search reveals very little.

Can someone tell me more about this game? Where did it come from? The board was inherited from a Norwegian or Danish grandparent, but the designs looked Middle Eastern, or Turkish . . . Could have been many things, but Norwegian and Danish don't seem likely.

What are the rules? I found a few things on the web about shooting "pucks" (for lack of a better term) into the nets in the corners, but that was all I could find.

I'm curious about this game. Can anyone help me out?

You mean this:

Try searching using "caram" or "carrom". The game seems to be Indian.

I even found a PC version!
    http://www.anujkaushal.com/AK_Games.html (below the "Egg Game")
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

So that's the english name for that game... here we just call it Bob

I have no idea about it's history, but here in Denmark most people know the game
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Yes, that's the game. It's apparently "carrom" in English. Once I found that out, I was able to come up with all sorts of information. It's interesting that it appears to be fairly well-known in Denmark. I spent several years in Germany and never saw it there.

Comment

Fascinating. It's called korona in Finland.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Working...
          X