Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkCloud
    Okay, that worked. Thank you.

How do I place an item now? A bucket, for example?

-DC.
    Buckets don't get placed. They can be used to make wells or buildings (ashery?) or you can make a furniture stockpile for them, but the best bet is to leave them sitting around wherever. Then if some injured dwarf needs water, the bucket won't be stuck allocated to a "move bucket to stockpile" task (items allocated to a task can not be used or moved until the task is complete or cancelled).

I can't quite remember the keys for placing things like beds or tables, but that info should be easily found on the wiki.
    EDIT: Use the 'b' menu. b-d is the command to place doors, b-c for chairs, b-t for tables, etc. Note that these items must be made in a workshop first before being placed.
    Last edited by Skanky Burns; August 10, 2008, 18:33.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hmm... I'll look up the thing about placing beds.

On another note- when you are building a mine on a screen, let's say that you only have very limited mountain on the map and you come to the end, can you build a cavern onto an adjacent screen... when you move around on the map it just sort of "ends" at a point.

Also, off the top of your head do you know how to build "down"? I constructed a down stairway, but am uncertain on how to utilize it.

Thanks again,
      DC.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

You can only build on the current map, and can't build or dig a certain distance from the edge either. The size of the land you choose to embark on is permanent. Of course, you can always start another fortress. You have roughly 15 z-levels of ground to dig through though, so even small amounts of land have a large area to play with and lots of resources to consume.

Down and up stairs are always needed in pairs. The basic method for getting underground is to dig a downward square on the ground somewhere. Directly below this square, dig an upward stair (or up/down combo stair, if you want the stairs to go down more than 1 level). The miner will run over and dig them, then you can start using those stairs to access the level below you. Another way is to just go down 1 z-level and designate a ramp.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Okay, that sounds complicated, but I think I can do it.
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Just FYI...
            after ~1.5 years of Development Taody finally has managed to finish his new version (0.31.01) of Dwarf Fortress, which includes lots of changes and new features (well, as it is fresh from development it surely also includes lots of new Bugs which have to be fixed in coming sub-versions)

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Its UNBELIEVABLY buggy.
              "

Comment

all i see is ascii vomit when i try to play.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Toady btw. has a new version out (0.34.02) ,
                  after almost a year of working on it...
                  it has vampires, necromancers and werebeasts in it
                  as well as a world that is more populated than ever before,
                  with larger towns which employ sewers and catacombs and the like.

Unfortunately it also has (at the moment) the little problem that calculation of a world and its history takes eternities (at least with large worlds) ...
                  I, for example, tried to let a world get calculated during the night ...
                  when I came back to my computer ther next morning, it has (after 8.5 hours of processing) advanced to the Year 820,
                  with taking 10 minutes per new year.
                  So unless you want to let your computer spend almost a week calczulating the world, or are lucky enough to be in possession of a modern Cray Supercomputer, don´t expect to be able to calculate a large world till the year 1050

Aside from this little problem the new version is definitely a huge leap forward, however ...
                  although according to some users in Toadies DF forum cities sometimes seem to little problem with tables (a problem that is similar to the problems of Frogstar B (in HHGttG) with shoes )
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                  X