This Colonization is pretty cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Colonization is pretty cool

I'll post here on game issues, esp comparisons to other games, since the classic games forum is so quiet.

Now that ive gotten it running (DOS version) i find it a nice cross between Civ and Settlers. Still that Civ goodness, with the cities, goodie huts, and civish combat (but with the nice twist of favoring offense) , but also the nice detailed economic model, with the need to build up raw materials, intermediate, and finished goods in a warehouse, the need to build bigger warehouses, move material around etc. Also like the nice labor force model, and that soldiers can be put to work, colonists can be armed, etc, etc. Also like how working a colony square you have to decide what to produce from it, and that you have to match labor force training with resources.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Yeah, it is/was a great game... I once headed a project for a sequel

Comment

Glad you are enjoying it - it's a real classic.

Comment

Although it was also open to abuse. I was always tempted to build roads on the ocean.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Colonization was a great game ... perhaps someday we'll see COL II :hopeful:
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It was my starter for the Civ series. I played CivI only briefly. I played Colonization for years and then went to CivII.

Comment

Col beats the rest of the Civ series in many aspects, but is also buggy and somewhat tedious in the late game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                It was my starter for the Civ series. I played CivI only briefly. I played Colonization for years and then went to CivII.
                I was the same although I didn't play Civ2 all that much. All the nasty little strategies I used for Colonization and later SMAC, I learnt from the Colonization AI.

I bought a Sid classic collection (Colonization, Civ1, Railroad Tycoon and Pirates Gold). It was the best $80 I ever spent.
                There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                  Although it was also open to abuse. I was always tempted to build roads on the ocean.
                  Back then one had to resist the temptations to abuse the bugs in the game. I see you found this difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                    Actually, this is exactly true for me as well!

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      Back then one had to resist the temptations to abuse the bugs in the game. I see you found this difficult.
                      Indeed. OTOH, my ships made good time.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Comment

The other thing about Colonization, is that unlike SOME similar games that have a silly backstory about lost ships, and all that, the backstory of Colonization is the greatest, most noble, most inspiring story in all world history
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Yes,Colonization is one of the great games.

I still play it (just no sound effects).

Best regards,

Comment

Yeah, the economic model is one of the better ones out there. It mimics real-life dynamics really well without going to much into abstractions, and yet it's also transparent and straightforward. I always felt Imperialism 1 & 2 took a page out of Colonisation's book, which is why its economic model is equally solid
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                              X