Halflife 2: Portals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halflife 2: Portals

This has to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen for a game. I can see it crashing the game...

Damn

I need to get back into gaming!
    be free

Comment

Something tangentially related I found the other day...

Here's the first trailer for Half Life 1. The final game looked a whole lot different (and better) but even that is miles away from what they are doing now.

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Looks very nice.

Comment

wow, i want a portal gun for xmas
          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
            Something tangentially related I found the other day...

Here's the first trailer for Half Life 1. The final game looked a whole lot different (and better) but even that is miles away from what they are doing now.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...51817378700627
            That's interesting. Coming November 1997, eh? HL was actually released in late 1998. Poor Valve and their release dates.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'm impressed by the dimensional physics of the thing. I wonder how much of the exit is actually generated before entering the entrance. Is it really live?

Comment

This looks great (and there's already a thread on this, back when the video was new ), too bad it requires HL2, which I'll never buy
                This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                  I'm impressed by the dimensional physics of the thing. I wonder how much of the exit is actually generated before entering the entrance. Is it really live?
                  I'm sure it is. All this is doing is adding a second "camera"/"viewpoint" to the engine...which is exactly how recent games implemented mirrors as well.

Maybe that's why I'm underwhelmed, it's not very amazing from a technical perspective and it seems like it'll get old fast from a gameplay perspective, where Valve will hit us repeatedly over the head with a nifty gimmick until it becomes tedious (eg, gravity gun).
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ah, but this is niftier than the gravity gun.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

yah, technically its not amazing, I'm sure we all know that, but with gravity effects, and the fact that its a gun, well, it really opens up a whole area of gameplay (just like the gravity gun did).
                      be free

Comment

Portal is based on a game called Narbacular Drop. You can download it here:

Comment

If I click the link do I get a free X-Box?

Comment

Working...
                          X