Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portal

Anyone seen the video:

Looks like some great fun, adding some interesting possibilities to FPS games

From what I understand, this game is included with Half Life Episode 2, which means that I wont buy it for two reasons:
    1) I never liked the first half-life (haven't tried HL2, but from what I've seen, I probably wouldn't like that either)
    2) Steam

Hopefully other companies will adopt this portal stuff, sounds like great fun
    This space is empty... or is it?

Holy. Crap.

I played the proof of concept game, Narbacular Drop, and it was great fun, although one level was annoying to play and I had to quit. I spent over an hour just messing around with the portals, though. It was available at http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/ but the bandwidth has killed them.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Re: Portal

Originally posted by Adagio
      1) I never liked the first half-life
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Just watched the video. And...

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
        Holy. Crap.
        ...doesn't even begin to describe this.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Looks like they got jealous of Prey and its Portals. Though you can create these.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And you can MOVE them. Prey hasn't used the idea anywhere near its full potential.
            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Are you guys kidding me? This screams gimmick to me. Thank God Prey devs knew enough not to overdo it.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

And look, Asher doesn't like it!

Comment

I don't get what the big fuss is about... you'd think that they actually did something groundbreaking the way this is being ZOMG linked to in every forum.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It could make for some fun team killing, though.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                      I don't get what the big fuss is about... you'd think that they actually did something groundbreaking the way this is being ZOMG linked to in every forum.
                      I don't get it either. It's a gimmick, like the gravity gun. It's fun for 5 minutes and then it gets old, and I bet you 90% of the puzzles in the game with this functionality revolve around using the frickin' portal gun like the gravity gun in HL2.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I would tend towards scepticism too, but am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Comment

Since the name of the game is Portal, I'd assume you're correct about that, Asher. However, I personally loved the gravity gun in HL2. Since I'm getting Episode 2 anyway, I'll get Portal with that and give it a shot.
                          Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Working...
                          X