buying games on line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike
    So you just gain a great deal of pleasure from knowing you own a box?
    They look great on the shelf
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
      Don't you?
      Nope. The only reason I buy games is for MP or for ease of patching.

Comment

Making things easy for yourself.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I'm supposed to make things hard?

Comment

I don't have the DL limit to download games.
            I do prefer to buy boxed copies from an online store though, since it's ~15% cheaper.

Comment

I've bought online for years. I started when there were a whole bunch of games you had to import from USA/Canada to get at all, or to have any hope of getting patches done. Nowadays its just cheaper and usually just as fast as waiting until the weekend to drive down to the store.

I'm not a fan of direct downloading although I've tried it a few times. I perfer having the CD available because its pretty normal for me to reinstall the O/S every 6 months - 1 year to clear up the system. Remembering all the account details so that you can go about downloading again is just a pain.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                I don't have the DL limit to download games.
                A better broadband connection would seem to be in order.

Comment

summary

1. much more ordering of physical games for mail delivery than purchase via download.

2. Amazon favored for purchase.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

In the UK I'd suggest play.com over amazon(uk) because they are often cheaper.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Sometimes - I'd say it's 50/50 for the games I've bought recently. I also rather like Amazon's efficiency and ordering system, and don't really care if they are 50p dearer.

Comment

1. IIUC all games on Amazon are sold by the 'stores" that list there, not by Amazon itself. Is this correct?

2. IIUC you guys in the UKofGB&NI order from DIFFERENT stores on Amazon.uk then are listed on the US site, Amazon.com. Do any US users of Amazon have "stores" you prefer on Amazon?

3. Note - unlike some folks here, I would mainly be using Amazon for getting old games (new or used) This means i would need to get several to get free postage handling. This means a strong preference for "stores" that have a decent selection of games - its more than just hunting down a given title.

4. I registered with Amazon when i bought Zoombini there, but now i dont know my password. I can ask them to renew it, but Im not even sure which of two email addresses i registered from. Id like to go and use the same account, if only to check the name of the "store" i last used.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

In the UK for sure 1 isn't true. The only games that I've seen listed but sold by other companies are old niche games.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                            In the UK for sure 1 isn't true. The only games that I've seen listed but sold by other companies are old niche games.
                            which are of course precisely the games ive been searching for.

Anyway, ive bumped this to announce that my copy of Colonization just arrived in the mail. Timely, well packaged. I was pleased. I bought it from a mom and pop shop on Amazon (Dalegames of New Hampshire) I may install it tonight.

In addition to new games, sold by Amazon itself, and the mom and pop shops, there are also major retailers (like EBgames) that sell through Amazon.

Comment

I just bought a game from one of the stores actually, because it was £10 cheaper.

Comment

sometimes I can find them cheaper at Target or Fry's. But lately I've been too lazy to buy games (and not enough time to play them). I still haven't bought warlords yet. I need to see what the price is at Target. I may buy online because I don't feel like running to the store to buy it.

Though I was at Target today and didn't think to look at the computer games section. I was buying a birthday card and a gift for a girl I like. My priorities are screwed up lately.

Comment

Working...
                                X