F1 racing on PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 racing on PC

Do any of you know if there are good recent F1 racing games out there? I was very surprised that i couldn't find any.

Thanks!
    What?

People play such games?

Many years ago I got a free F1 racing game, when buying a computer magazine... I never actually tried it
    The other full game that was included was a good adventure game though

But...uhmm... no, I haven't heard about any recent F1 racing games...
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Isn't there an EA series that comes out every year?

Comment

There used to be a great series called Grand Prix, by Geoff Crammond - he's sort of the Sid Meier of F1 games.

Unfortunately, the last two entries in the series (Grand Prix 3 and 4) were not particularly innovative games, and EA tried to compete issuing a series of F1 sims which were originally crap but then improved with time - although they never really seemed to capture the essence of F1 like Crammond games could.

And then Sony stepped up and bought the rights for F1 games only for Playstation. And that was the end.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I didn't actually know that. A mate at uni was really into the Geoff Crammond games - he bought a steering wheel and everything.

Maybe the best bet is to dig out one of the older Crammond games.

Comment

Yeah definately look for the older Geof Crammond ones, the later EA games completely lost the feel of actualy driving - its seemed a more distant experience somehow?
            When the grandprix was on TV i would share a full grandprix with a mate on 'Geof Crammonds F1 Grand Prix'. You would come away from the pc hours later feeling like you actualy been in a grand prix - it was exhausting, probably the level of concentration needed?
            Great game - best F1 game

Comment

I've played both Grand Prix 3 and 2 briefly on my friend's PC. The handling of GP3 sucked. GP2 was very good, but the graphics are quite bad by today's standards. Later on, I heard that GP4 was nothing more but the developer cashing in, using the reputation of the series, so in conclusion: meh .

EDIT: Hmm, I remember playing a very good driving simulator with F1-tracks where you could also drive with at least F3-cars last year. It was shareware, and I think it was British because the registeration fee was preferred to be paid with pounds. Can't recall the name right now, though.
              Last edited by RGBVideo; April 4, 2006, 13:54.

Comment

How much do graphics really matter in this genre though. If I was into these games I'd play one of the earlier games for sure.

Comment

The sim racing community is alive and thriving. But not much F1 as there is no more F1 sims for the PC after the EA ones finished although the last in the series (F1 challenge 99-02) was very good. Away from F1 check these games:

Live for Speed is a serious racing simulator. No arcade modes, no steering aids - YOU have to do the driving. Try the LFS physics with our free demo!

and this forum for more info
                  This domain may be for sale!

Comment

Grand Prix 2 was really a masterpiece, but its graphics are, of course, totally outdated now. You could say that graphics are not that important, but in a F1 sim they are part of the whole experience - they help to build the sense of immersion.

Grand Prix 3 was nothing more than a revamped GP2 - it was an odd mixture of 3D graphics and 2D sprites with virtually the same physics and limitations - replays were still limited to 20 secs, for instance, like in the old GP2.

Grand Prix 4 was an attempt to bring the series to the latest 3D technology, but its engine was somehow flawed - when the game was released you needed some sort of supermachine to run it smoothly. Apart from the graphics, there was really no innovation.

But two things remain true for all Crammond sims:

1) they strike a fine balance between playability and hardcore simulation - I know of no other F1 sim that could be played so well using a keyboard, and the experience was almost as pleasurable as with a steering wheel.

2) the AI is the best I've ever seen in any F1 game - and believe me, I've played lots of them. The opponents are fierce and fast on higher difficulty levels, and they know when to fight and when to let the player go. It's almost lifelike.

Another game which is really good is Grand Prix Legends, created by Papyrus. It's an accurate representation of the golden era of F1, focusing on the 1967 championship, and have uncannily realistic physics - so much so that the game is a really hardcore simulation and only those with lots of time and patience would be able to master it. But few things could surpass the pleasure of driving at full speed on the original 14 mile (!) Nurburgring track. If you could stay on the road, of course.
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Written by me
                      EDIT: Hmm, I remember playing a very good driving simulator with F1-tracks where you could also drive with at least F3-cars last year. It was shareware, and I think it was British because the registeration fee was preferred to be paid with pounds. Can't recall the name right now, though.
                      Written by Fraze
                      http://www.liveforspeed.net/
                      Yea, that's the one! I recommend that you try it's free 130Mb demo if you're looking for F1-multiplayer. You can't use the generic F1 car (V8) in the demo, but at least you'll get a feel of the tracks. Very F1-like, IMO.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was thinking of getting a copy of F1 challenge 99-02. I may also try Grand Prix Legends.
                        What?

Comment

What about managers, anyone played that?

I played an old one from Microprose. It seemed fine but my cars always seemed to crash because of inadequate testing or something.

Comment

Working...
                          X