No announcement yet.

Space Rangers 2: Anyone played it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did my first diplomatic mission yesterday, did not like all the reading, seemed to be a bit too long.

I've only been doing fedex missions as everything else seems to get me my az handed to me.

Saving up for a better ship is the current plan since the starter ship is not that great.

Going to take quite some time.

Strange that the planet combat puts you in first person mode, but the space combat does not.
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
      You can enter planet names in the in-game search engine to get prices - handy if you want to combine missions and trading.
      Nice tip! Its a little too clunky to use if you plan to trade around the galaxy, but knowing what to take to a mission planet will be useful.

Now that my spaceship is rocking along nicely i'm managing to cover my expenses on dominator parts. Getting the hull improved at a science station to 10 points of cladding made a big difference. Its really satisfying blowing up the smaller dominators, even if I still need to rely on speed to keep a healthy distance from the huge ones and avoid getting swarmed.

I like the mix of styles but I agree its quite odd. Travelling black holes gives you another more arcade like combat but so far I've let the autopilot handle it.
      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
      H.Poincaré

Comment

Sounds like a fun game...any idea when and where (which countries) it's available in retail?
        <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
        Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Yeah, I just figured out the upgraded hull thing too. Wish I'd of done that earlier. Now onto more dominator encounters, but it seems like they are losing ground in my game.

Lemmy, it has been out for a while...check ebay or amazon.
          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Uhm...right, sorry, by retail i meant on actual store shelves.
            And...out for a while? Not everywhere. A Belgian site does have it listed, but release date is March 3rd.
            Last edited by Lemmy; February 26, 2006, 12:07.
            <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
            Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Maybe it was released in the US earlier.

Comment

Some more vital tips. Don't read if you feel like figuring them out yourself, although it's really just manual stuff.

Your armour strength (cladding) is the amount that's subtracted from each hit.

The repair droid denotes how many hitpoints you can regenerate per turn - and it's NOT related to hull cladding level.

The in-game search engine can also be used to find components - type in 'industry' to find the 30 nearest industry lasers, along with their size (but not their power or price).

Comment

A few more tips

- One of the 'best' starting positions comes in the form of the Faeyan merchant. Relatively large hull, reasonable or better terms with most races. You don't start with a scanner but this isn't a serious disadvantage. Make sure you take a rocket launcher to start out with.

- Upgrade and repair costs are dependent upon the cost of your gear.
                  If you aquire one of the much sought-after 'cramp' micromodules (+10% size, -75% cost), make sure you install it BEFORE you repair/upgrade. d'oh!

- Don't leave the Dominators alone for too long. I was still pushing them back when it hit year 40.
                  Quite suddenly my ranger ranking went from ~#8-9 to #1, and not in a good way ...

Some of the best artifacts (IMHO) to look out for:-

- antigravitaser (-25% hull size wrt speed calc's),
                  - black guck (no more fuel worries ever again),
                  - 'Blast localiser' whatsit (increases the chance of equipment surviving on enemy ships when they go boom = more loot),
                  - nanitoids (repair equipment other than hull - great for keeping repair costs down).

Comment

I found the equipment search invaluable. Once you stumble across a better piece of kit you can immediately search to find out which planets have got it in a decent size. That has made my last couple of upgrades much smoother.

I'm currently trying to juggle my costs by getting some very cheap equipment expanded with good plug ins to offset other very expensive items like my 95000 cr disintegrator weapon. For example as soon as I found a +150 gripper module I went and found a nice cheap gripper to attach it to. If I ever find an item bigger than 200 it wouldn't fit in the cargo hold anyway

The dominators are being pushed back hard and its only 3319 so I should have enough time - I had been wondering how long it would be until there was some sort of forced retirement. Right now I'm just focussed on gettign the research finished as quickly as possible. Kelleroids is complete, just Blazer and Terranoid to go.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Just seen Keller. A missile blew through my defences for 85 points of damage so I traced it back to see what on earth was firing it. Big and scary. Fortunately he popped back into his wormhole once the smaller ships were defeated. I don't think I'm ready to follow just yet
                      H.Poincaré

Comment

PC gamer just gave this game an interesting review.

Comment

Kieron Gillen did the Eurogamer review and he is (was?) a PC Gamer (UK) staff writer for many years. I'd expect PC Gamer (US) to be pretty similar in their attitude since the sister magazines tend to share the same opinions most of the time.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
                            PC gamer just gave this game an interesting review.
                            Score?

Comment

I should have said preview of the release, but not a full review. Just that they mentioned it, in a one pager by "the Vede"

Comment

Apparently PCG UK gave it a 78% score, but I don't have access to the review itself to see what they liked or disliked.
                                H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                                X