Political Simulation: United States of MicroAmerica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Simulation: United States of MicroAmerica

I know many of you are interested in politics, and many have had the experience of playing in democracy games on this site. Lately, I have been immersed in an activity very similar to a democracy game but without the computer program -- the "United States of MicroAmerica" (USMA). This political simulation takes real-world legislation and events, and reacts to them. Participants take the roles of Senators, Justices of the Supreme Court, or members of the President's Cabinet. We just got through a Presidential election, and are moving into a new legislative session at the end of the month.

The way USMA works is simple -- one joins the main discussion group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usma_/, and then joins a party or caucus. From there, one may choose to observe for a while, or become a Senator. (In general, members of the Executive and Judiciary will have been Senators for a while.) The choice of a caucus is up to you, but I would recommend the Independent Party Caucus (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usma_ipc/), which is a loose association of Independents containing views from all sides of the political spectrum. I have been a member of this group for several months, and while we don't all agree most of the time, it is an inclusive group which knows how to work together to get things done.

If you're interested, feel free to apply to the USMA group at the URL above and see if it's something you'd like to take part in. If you think you might be interested, but have some questions, drop me a PM. I hope to hear from some of you soon.

(And yes, for my former colleagues in the ACDG3, this is where I've been the last few months.)

Posted this first in the Off-Topic forum, because I didn't see this one. Hope it's all right to post it here too.
    Adam T. Gieseler

Quick update on this -- the USMA is still going strong. We have just over 60 members and an active Senate, Executive and Supreme Court. The Independent Party Caucus did fold, unfortunately, but there are five parties to choose from. Just visit USMA Immigration to sign up and be matched to a party, or check out the public archives at the main USMA group first for a taste of what it's like. Discussion takes place via email but if you prefer you can access it via Yahoo's website. Email just gives most of us an easy way to keep track of things.

Oh, and they elected me President. Twice. For some reason. It's hard to know what they see in me.
    Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

Sorry, I had some trouble finding the archives?

Where is the link, or do I need to loginto Yahoo to see them?

~DC.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

My fault -- it looks like the archives are set to members only.

I will see if that can be changed.

In the meantime, I'm glad to answer any questions if desired.

Edit: There are public archives at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usma_senate/messages/
        Last edited by AdamTG02; February 9, 2008, 21:04.
        Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

no way.

I certainly hope our archives are never made public in
          USMA.

Comment

Given the strong opposition to opening up the archives from USMA members (one of whom was thoughtful enough to register here), they are going to remain private at this time. However, again, I would be glad to answer any questions people might have. Thanks for considering the USMA!
            Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

It really is a great sim, i encourage anyone to check it out both as a learning tool and as entertainment.

Raughammer

Comment

Working...
              X