Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old-Style Adventure Games - Can they make a return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old-Style Adventure Games - Can they make a return?

Yknow the old Kings Quest, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

If someone were to make a game like any one of those, would you play it? would you buy it?
    be free

Games like Silent Hill are sort of an evolution of the genre.

Aside from that, they're kind of obselete. There was some Siberia game or something. I don't remember the exact name.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Syberia, iirc. It looked good and i'll buy it eventually.

I'd buy those iff they had interesting mechanics and interesting plots, and GOOOOOOD gameplay. It'd have to be way better than an RPG in that sense - i'd buy an RPG with comparitively worse gameplay than an adventure game.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Felch, I know of Syberia.

I am not talking about those type of games, I am sick of 3D adventure games. I liked Longest Journey, but nothing seems to capture the adventure like those original monkey island, space quest games.
        be free

Comment

You might take a look here: http://www.bigbluecup.com./

There are some real gems to find.
          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
          And notifying the next of kin
          Once again...

Comment

I know of it, and I attempted to try make one.

There are quite a few other good AGI game making apps.

The best fan made AGI game I have found is "Time
            Machine", it's a really good one.
            be free

Comment

Now I remember... You posted a background once in the critics forum on the AGS site
              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
              And notifying the next of kin
              Once again...

Comment

oh yeah ok

what was the pic of? space quest?
                be free

Comment

You can also check at Sourceforge to see if they have any of such games under development there.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I hope they can make a return. I haven't played many of the old Adventure games (I started with LSL6), but I really like them... The Longest Journey is my all time favorite, while Grim Fandango comes in as a second (too bad it was too short)

Originally posted by Felch
                    Games like Silent Hill are sort of an evolution of the genre.
                    Not really... that's the same thing as saying RTS is an evolution of TBS games
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Well there is this New Adventure called 'Ankh', unfortunatly I dont know wheter its available internationally (yet). Rumor has it quite close to the later Parts of the MK-series. I gifted it this Christmas to a Friend of mine who seems quite happy about it (*)

Besides of that it seems the Adventure market returned to its Beauty Sleep after the short Fahrenheit- Hype

I could only find one Non-German "Ankh" Review , sorry 'bout that.
                      Review:
                      Deck 13 is making ancient Egypt popular again, and Laura sits down with Ankh's project leader. |

Pics: http://pc.ign.com/objects/745/745775.html &
                      GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

(*) [.. but then it could be a "Oh no another Gift from wacky MB"- Gratitude Lie]
                      Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                        Not really... that's the same thing as saying RTS is an evolution of TBS games
                        I mean that it has a lot of the same elements. Finding items and using them to solve puzzles. I played Silent Hill with the easiest combat and hardest puzzles, and it was pretty cool. . .
                        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

The old style 2d adventure is dead. However, there are at least 2 possibilities.

1) 3d game like Syberia and TLJ are awesome, and deeper stories than almost all the old classics. Personally I don't see the purist's problem, and I'm more of a purist than most. Games are added, they just don't get a great deal of exposure.

2) There are bucketloads of old adventures you haven't played, simply because there were so many, not many of which are that well known. Tell me what you have played and I'll recommend some downloadable games you can play.

Comment

DrSpike, I know you like to think you are a God when it comes to gaming knowledge, but I am also a god in that area.

And considering I love to play adventure games above all other genre's, I am pretty sure I am aware of all adventure games available. (or where to get them); thanks anyway.

And I don't think old 2D adventure games are dead, but I do think there is no market for them.

TLJ was a great adventure, I have played it through 3 times (and waiting for TLJ 2); syberia was ok, but not great, many parts dragged on too long.

However, if they made TLJ in old Monkey Island 1 or 2 style, I am certain I would have enjoyed it 10x more. 3D has no... "adventurous depth", if you know what I mean... I get a lot more sense of adventure in a 2D game.
                            be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                              DrSpike, I know you like to think you are a God when it comes to gaming knowledge, but I am also a god in that area.

And considering I love to play adventure games above all other genre's, I am pretty sure I am aware of all adventure games available. (or where to get them); thanks anyway.
                              'k np, just trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X