becoming, arghh, a game collector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• becoming, arghh, a game collector

I used to only buy games to play them. Really. I mean I might not play every game in jumbo pack (like Sim mania, or the SM Civil War collection) but when I bought something, it was cause there was something I wanted to play. I might put aside a game with gameplay left, but not before id either played it heavily or decided I didnt like it, or both .

But with EU2, a great consumer of time, and the imminent death of the EB used PC games section, which has instigated in me a new craving for bin diving, I find myself buying games i have no intention of playing immediatly. So far this included Escape from Monkey Island, and Roller Coaster Tycoon. And I crave going back, despite being in the middle of my first EU2 game on Very Hard, and not having finished the Starcraft campaigns. (granted the two above games didnt cost much, but still)

Is there hope, or am I addicted?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

I think it's just normal behaviour for someone with too much disposable income and not enough time. There's probably a formula somewhere!

Now that i only buy budget games (mainly for reasons of patches) i have a huge pile of games that i keep meaning to play next holiday. Trouble is i always go for something simple/familiar rather than teach myself Uncommon Valour or Neverwinter nights etc.

Last holiday i was going to play EU2 properly but got a few turns in as Portugal and then spent the next couple of days playing X:Beyond the frontier which i found in the bargain bin.

Comment

I used to do that - in fact right now I got WarCraft 3 not done, Deus Ex, Bloodlines sitting on my computer. I bought KOTOR which I've not even opened yet. Now that I'm obsessed with Guild Wars and I have so little of free time I told myself I aint going to buy more games except for Chapter 2 for Guild Wars. I've faced reality - I'm not going to have time to play games all I want like I used to before college. So I have to be choosy and be more smart with how I spend my money.

Oh I forgot I got Pirates! sitting on my computer too and I've not even finished the first adventure.

That's like 100-150 dollars of games wasted.
      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

This thread's subject sums me up pretty well! I've got this big box full of great games (EU and EU2, for example) that await my attention, yet I cannot help buying new ones all the time...

Some of them are DVD ROMs; my old and faithful computer does not even have a DVD?!

I think Standup is right, but I would add a dose of escapism and the chase for that completely captivating gaming experience to the pot...

There's always something brighter and more promising out there...

Carolus

Comment

I have tonnes of games I haven't played.

Comment

poor LotM - i believe the condition is terminal, and as yet i havent been able to find a cure anywhere.

Still i'm working on the theory that the 5-6 years of PC gaming i missed out on, and am trying to catch up with; must end at some point.
            Then i'm prety sure i'll be able to stop bin-diving/ebay prowling/bugdet re-release getting and 'overcatting' as last resort.

Am i likely to want to buy 'Hulk' et all on budget when they come around? I just dont think so

(this is the optimistic 'collectors' outlook - it may vary from one collector to another)
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
              poor LotM - i believe the condition is terminal, and as yet i havent been able to find a cure anywhere.
              There is no cure, but there are remedies. Unfortunately as LotM is already married he has tried the best one.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

There is no cure, but there are remedies. Unfortunately as LotM is already married he has tried the best one.
                Actually married life makes the situation worse. Since it limits gaming time. I have less time to game than some of you single folks, but i still like to buy games.

And the games i buy are pretty cheap, so there really isnt much of a financial constraint.

The problem is playing a game like EU2. Most games i play for two to four, maybe five months, and put aside. Which about matches may yen to add another game to my collection. But EU2 (like Civ2) is good for far more than that.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I meant that serious relationships are a good remedy for gaming addiction generally.

If you're anything like me you need a *really* good reason to cut down on games.

Comment

Same here, DrSpike.
                    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Re: becoming, arghh, a game collector

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      ...and not having finished the Starcraft campaigns.

That is a wise decision. The first one (humans) is tolerable, but it goes downhill from there.

No loss, really.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I used to do that as well, but fortunately games coming out in recent years don't hold much attraction for me.
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Re: Re: becoming, arghh, a game collector

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

That is a wise decision. The first one is tolerable, but it goes downhill from there.

No loss, really.
                          I was going to say the same about your posts on games.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: becoming, arghh, a game collector

Originally posted by DrSpike
                            I was going to say the same about your posts on games.
                            While yours have always been vacuous.

Comment

Guys, guys, do I need to call Ming in for one of his "discuss the post" posts?

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X