Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcming Game 4X RTS: Sins of a Solar Empire

Hey folks,

The majority of the Homeworld Community is really excited about this one but although extremely vocal, we are not very large and some input from the 4X community at large would be very helpful and help add some fresh views to the only semiofficial message board for the game atm.

What we're excited about:

The game features seamless galaxies that exist completely in real time. You can literally be zoomed in on a small fighter and zoom all the way out to a galactic view.

The devs, some of whom were responsible for Homeworld: Cataclysm got inspired to do the game by that old Buck Rogers TSR board game and are saying it should be something of a cross between Starcraft, MOO, and Homeworld.

Starcraft Elements:

Ships gain experience and every new level gives players a chance to pick from multiple special abilities as well as overall improved performance for the vessel.

There are material and financial resources to be gathered from planets and through economic structures. These can be traded back and forth between players.

MOO Elements:

It's a big freaking galaxy and expansion is key. The devs appear to be interested in random events but I'm not sure if they're going to incorporate them or not. Planets are developed through structures. I'm getting the impression that there aren't as many economic structures as there are in MOO.

Homeworld Elements:

3D RTS space combat. If you haven't played any of the HW games, I recommend giving one a whirl. They're pretty and its fun to watch ships engage each other. They don't want to put quite as much of a micro strain on players as the HW series can so players can still maintain their empire while battles rage on and the AI is supposed to act somewhat intelligently in regard to use of special abilities, etc... but they're saying supervised fleets will still have an edge over unsupervised fleets.

For more details, check here:

And for discussion here:

Anyway, hope to see some discussion from new people both there and here.

It looks interesting. There are a few hardcore 4xers here, so you should get a few converts.

Comment

Sounds pretty interesting - Paradox seem to be in a rut at the moment, so it's nice to see the idea of a 'grand' RTS' is still going. Can you give orders while paused in single player?

I get a bit nervous whenever I see 'automated' a lot in a game description. It's never a good idea to create ultra-sophisticated economic models or whatever and then just hand them over to the AI 90% of the time.

Comment

There hasn't been much discussion about it (all the reason for more folks here to pop in and say hi) but I suspect that the economy isn't going to be all that complex. I think they really just want players to colonize a planet, quickly size up what they want there, put it all in a queu and then get back to exploring and fighting. There might be trade treaties and taxation but I haven't heard anything about that yet. I'll ask though.

I think the primary strategy in developing worlds that you colonize revolves more around taking advantage of the kinds of space and resources available on such worlds. For instance, you can colonize large asteroids although they won't have much in the way of space but could give a decent resource return. Material resources will actually deplete on worlds, but there is still an advantage to having real estate for the beneficial structures you can maintain there.

Furthermore, each of the three playable races has its own ideal environment type for purposes of population.

Orders with pause feature is a good idea and probably not that hard to implement if they haven't already done it. I'll recommend it.

Comment

Economy questions handled by dev, Blair Fraser in this thread.

Comment

Just got confirmation that yes, you can give orders while paused.

Comment

Sounds interesting, what about the ai and when is the release ETA.
              We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

There's all kinds of discussion concerning the AI, but that's a proof in pudding issue as far as I'm concerned. It looks like they're trying to hit a balance between fleets not acting not acting like total fools while your attention elsewhere while giving experienced players a bit of an edge if they're actually devoting attention to it. It has to be decent since players will likely be facing multiple battles at once. On the emprire/diplomacy scale it sounds like the AI is pretty smart in terms of how it reacts to what you're doing. There are lengthy discussions AI but these are mostly wishlists with occasisonal input from Blair. I'd hit the forum and do a search.

It sounds like they have something close a complete game and are busy tweaking and messing with different ideas but they're still shopping for a publisher, so I'm guessing Q2 at the earliest.

Comment

Thanks, but I am too busy fight noe to do that, I'd rather you just kept us up on it. Although I am a 4x space empire freak.
                  We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X