Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Port Royale - the spiritual succesor of pirates! ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm. Thanks for your thoughts, child 'o Thor.

I liked the way you could be a trader in Pirates!, but was a bit frustrated by how much harder it was vis-a-vis being a privateer/pirate. I also would often wish I could buy/upgrade ships (the latter was introduced in the remake of Pirates!, which is a good thing ), own plantations, etc. Sorta like a mixture of Pirates! and Railroad Tycoon (another huge favorite of mine). It certainly sounds like Port Royale attempts to do this, but that implementation is so-so. When you get around to playing PRII, let me know what you think (PM me, if you remember ).

This might be worth having a look at, if/when I need a break from CivIV.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
      Burn teh heretic!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        Hmm. Thanks for your thoughts, child 'o Thor.

I liked the way you could be a trader in Pirates!, but was a bit frustrated by how much harder it was vis-a-vis being a privateer/pirate. I also would often wish I could buy/upgrade ships (the latter was introduced in the remake of Pirates!, which is a good thing ), own plantations, etc. Sorta like a mixture of Pirates! and Railroad Tycoon (another huge favorite of mine). It certainly sounds like Port Royale attempts to do this, but that implementation is so-so. When you get around to playing PRII, let me know what you think (PM me, if you remember ).

-Arrian
        No problem Its really just the auto-combat that lets PR down, and from what i've read the Trade/eco management has been dumbed down in PR2(on the plus side they've added sword fights+town conquest as in Pirates!), but once i get to give it a go i'll post impressions.

PR is still a fine game, and one that i can sink many more hours into - its just a pretty intense experience if you were expecting a romp like the origonal Pirates! used to be. You have to work at this game, and then some!

I picked it up new as a new £4.99 re-release game from my local high street store. It cant be sniffed at for that price, especialy if your an old Pirates! fan imho.
        Still from the results of my rather sad poll(in which i haven't voted, but Sid may have ) - i may be wrong?
        Last edited by child of Thor; December 30, 2005, 10:54.
        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Working...
        X