MMORPGs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMORPGs?

What's your opinion of them? My roommate plays World of Warcraft a LOT (albeit not as much as my last roommate, who I believe may have slept in front of his PC some nights), and I'm not sure I get the point. He's currently a level 60 human priest, and has been killing these furry things nonstop for the past hour or so in an attempt to get a different but related group of furry things to like him enough to sell him a pendant that will summon up the ghost of yet another furry thing to help him fight, uh...more furry things, I guess. I approve of killing furries, like any decent human being, but there are sensible limits to all things, y'know?

Plus I think these particular furries are actual bipedal animals rather than geeky elves in suits or something. Even if they do replicate as fast as he kills them somehow, furry things have feelings too, and it's not like they were harming anybody. They were just sitting there in the snow licking their furry parts or something. I think that other group of furries must be real ****** to demand this kind of ethnic cleansing. There's probably a little Hitler-furball in the back of their grimy cave cackling and rubbing his clumsy paws together with sinister glee. But I digress.

Anyway, does anybody here play those things, or is Civ the only master of your souls? Also, I had a really horrific idea, which even my roommate agrees would be soul-killingly crappy and pathetic: "Dragonball Z Online." Can you imagine the obnoxious players? The bad spelling? The ridiculous level-upping? The slowdown resulting from constant epilepsy-inducing garish light effects? Discuss.
    Play 'em all the time!
    11.76%
    Eh, they're okay.
    41.18%
    Might be fun, but I don't bother.
    29.41%
    What a stupid idea...
    17.65%
    What are those?
    0.00%
    Only "Banana Blade Bonanza" with expansion pack.
    0.00%
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

The only RPG I've ever played for any length of time was NWN, and that's not "massive." That's probably why I liked it - you actually feel like part of a community, not just one guy in an enormous world of asshats and preteens.

DBZ Online would be the best thing ever. If all went according to plan, it would remove much of the undesirable element from all other MMORPG communities for at least several years.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I just can't get into them. Maybe I'm just an unsociable gamer. Though I did enjoy multiplayer in Neverwinter Nights. But I didn't enjoy persistant worlds in Neverwinter Nights. Which leads me to believe it's not the social aspect I don't like. but something about that style of play. There's simply too much focus on levelling. I hate that. Granted Diablo2 was the same way, and I loved that game. But I didn't play Diablo2 just to level. I played it to have fun. I never had any characters above level 60 in Diablo 2.

Anyways... I bought my first mmorpg in Everquest 2. I just didn't like it. I also bought World of Warcraft which looked like it might have more focus on being fun. It wasn't. Maybe if I could of found a good group of guys to adventure with I would have kept with it. But the games were too tough to go through solo. And the few groups I did get into weren't that great. The problem is it's difficult finding any like minded players. They need a matching service. . I like players who don't feel the need to race accross the map at full speed killing monsters as fast as possible. I like a slow more exploration orientated approach.

Comment

I will never bee interested in them. I well imagine in the future they will be near virtual reality, but still I shall resist.

As an introvert, I'm just not orientated to enjoy interacting with others. I much prefer the challenge of competing with myself. Like trying to master a vertical scrolling shooter such as DoDonPachi or Ikaruga. Even with the limited abilities of computer AI, challenge can be extracted from games like SMAC and Starcraft by trying to beat time goals, or beat former scores.
        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

I played CoH for a while, it was decent. GW is my favourite, and that's not even full MMORPG.

I will play WoW one day.

Comment

Where is the option for 'Might be fun, but I don't have broadband to play them'?

Comment

I have playd a lot

I don't level that far.. I play for a while until the people I found who I enjoyed playing with outleveled me, then I go on to a new game

I have played:
              FFXI
              EQ2
              WoW
              AO
              SW:G
              COH
              COV
              GW

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Never been interested in them for a variety of reasons. System requirements, connection speeds, dull-sounding gameplay, game environments devoid of aesthetic merit, lack of completion, etc.

Comment

I would be all over MMORPGs if they had no monthly fee. So its probably good for my life that they DO have a monthly fee.
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Cheapskate.

Comment

Hey, there are plenty of crappy free MMOs out there. SomethingAwful mentioned something called TerraWorld Online that looks like it was made using RPG Maker 2000...
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                        I would be all over MMORPGs if they had no monthly fee. So its probably good for my life that they DO have a monthly fee.
                        Likewise. That is why Dransik (when it was in beta) was so good.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hey, I played Dransik Beta too. I found the levelling up to be far too exponential, but besides that it was a hoot.
                          Lime roots and treachery!
                          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Seriously, it's like £10 per month. Gamers like you guys will probably make that mere pennies per hour of entertainment.

Comment

The internets (being free) still beats that cost per hour.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X