Quake 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 4

it doesn't come out in stores until next week (same release date as Civ 4)...

but it has appeared on "the scene" already...

I have played the first level so far single player and my I will give my brief impressions.

This game is basically meant to be an update to Doom3, but with better multiplayer because the multiplayer in Doom3 was terrible. So far, the singleplayer game is about to be expected from a game built off of the Doom3 engine. It is dark, there are aliens and the fighting is much like Doom3. The graphics are good, especially on the max settings on a high end system (like mine ). The main difference is that your fellow soldiers aren't possessed demons or whatever.

The weapons look a little different, but they are pretty much the same. But at least this time they have the flashlight on the machinegun!!!

Still, it would be nice if the flashlight was like Half-Life/Counter-Strike where it's on all the guns and you just turn it on.

But still, at least you aren't just running around in the dark with a flashlight and no gun like Doom3. That was so stupid. I had to download a mod to get flashlights on all the guns for that game.

I haven't played multiplayer yet. Since the game hasn't been released retail yet, I doubt there are servers.

I am going to get a LAN going with my buddies some time later this week. From what I hear, multiplayer is basically what Quake 3 was. Deathmatch... a fragfest...

Not really anything of substance, but fun, nevertheless.

This game is not really groundbreaking or anything, but if you enjoyed Doom3, you will probably like Quake4. And this game will actually have decent multiplayer.

Also, expect this game to be a platform for many mods. From what I hear, the popular Quake 3 mod, "True Combat", is going to be ported to this game.

Discuss.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

I'm working on getting it (14.3% so far), but I'm not expecting much from this game (I haven't read anything about it*)... I'm not even sure if my computer will run it (is it the same requirements as Doom3?)

*The only thing I've heard was that the game is closer to Quake 2 than Quake 3... is that correct? I never liked the 3rd game, while I spent countless of house playing Q2
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Well it's going to (already is in part) get a panning from people that don't get it. I'm betting the SP wont be great compared to proper SP games like Half Life 2. The MP has even been berated in one review I saw for not having vehicles!

But if you care about a sound MP game suitable for the competitive circuit then Q4 is going to be it, as it's a polished Q3. CPL have already announced they will use it (for 1v1), and WCG and ESWC wont be far behind I'll bet. TDM leagues are already going up. Overall, it's going to be huge, but for FPS afficionados only, if that makes sense.

I've pre-ordered.

And release was 18th for some countries, 21st for the UK.

Comment

Q2 I mostly played MP, so I hope I can get other people to join a game from time to time (I don't like to fight against people I've never met, it's just not fun)
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
          Well it's going to (already is in part) get a panning from people that don't get it. I'm betting the SP wont be great compared to proper SP games like Half Life 2. The MP has even been berated in one review I saw for not having vehicles!
          I didn't find Half-Life 2 to be all that great. It was fun, but not great.

The vehicle part was probably the most boring part of the game. Ooooh yay I get to drive a go-kart/boat thingy... whoopy.... yay I dodge falling exploding barrels from the helicopters...

vehicles do not make a game great... good gameplay does...

UT2004 has vehicles... but that is also a pretty dull game.

Counter-Strike Source and DoD Source don't have vehicles and they are the two most fun MP FPS's out there.

Quake4 looks to be a decent game... singleplayer will be good. But after I beat the game, there will be not replay value.

I'm not sure if there are MP games versus bots. I enjoyed fighting the bots in Quake 3 at times.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

There are no bots. Replayability is through MP.

Comment

I actually got invited to join the oldest NA Quake clan(guess who) for this, but I can't play it until I move and go LPB. Which is hopefully fairly soon. It seems a mix of Q2/Q3/D3, which aren't my favorites but Quake is Quake.

This might make Q4 interesting though -

[21:08] <@KovaaK> you can slide if you hold crouch as you land
              [21:08] <@KovaaK> then qw physics takes over for a second or so
              [21:08] <@KovaaK> so you can turn while sliding
              [21:08] <@KovaaK> then jump and continue q3 physics

I'll be playing it a lot I'm sure. My clan already has private servers up and has been 4v4ing.
              Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

I've been playing a bit but I am quite out of practice, and I'm not getting good FPS. It's capped at 60 anyway but I can't make that in bog firefights, and my machine isn't that old.

Comment

Working...
                X