Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome article on Nintendo's corporate strategy

Nintendo's Genre Innovation Strategy

This article is a fascinating read. I heartily recommend it.

Basically, the author contends that the Nintendo's market strategy revolves around innovation, and that the Revolution controller represents the latest move in this process. He explains that Nintendo makes its money by creating new genres and exploiting them early on. Once a genre has become highly competitive and hardcore, they move on to yet more new genres.

good reading indeed.

Funny - I had similiar thoughts myself
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Yes, I had read this article the other day, and it is very enlightening.
      I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Very interesting indeed.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Except that their last effort can't really be seen as starting a new genre.........

Comment

It makes new possibilites for it.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Except that their last effort can't really be seen as starting a new genre.........
              And that's why it failed

Comment

Funny how i used to hate Nintendo (a light-hearted hate), and now theyre the closest thing left to what Sega were trying to do with consoles, before it went tits up.
                Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                  Funny how i used to hate Nintendo (a light-hearted hate), and now theyre the closest thing left to what Sega were trying to do with consoles, before it went tits up.
                  same here. But now after being arm twisted into getting a GC and gameboy player thingie, i've discovered a great selection of games that would never see the light of day on an xbox.

I've just started Fire Emblem(found it second hand after much effort) - and its great fun looking forward to the GC conversion of Fire Emblem2.
                  'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I just started FE strangely enough on a Game Boy Advance emulator for XBox. Im not really into a wide range of RPGs (mainly the Shining series) but ill see how far i can get with it.
                    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Nintendo's corporate strategy is exactly why their marketshare is rapidly falling, as are their products. They're out of touch reality. A niche group of gamers are equally out of touch with reality, but that group isn't growing.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

How much money has Microsoft lost on the Xbox, again?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Nintendo's corporate strategy is exactly why their marketshare is rapidly falling, as are their products. They're out of touch reality. A niche group of gamers are equally out of touch with reality, but that group isn't growing.
                          Their market share might be low, but they do earn lots of money on it. And when you think of how relatively small expenses there are on making Nintendo games compared to other games, and that they still sell at the same price, it does give them a upper hand. Besides AFAIR, they actually did earn money on their console AND their games, while MS and Sony looses money on their console(in addition to their lesser income on their games).

Comment

Besides AFAIR, they actually did earn money on their console AND their games, while MS and Sony looses money on their console(in addition to their lesser income on their games).
                            You are corrrect; Nintendo is the only one of the "big 3" to have turned a profit on this current generation. And, if current projections are correct, Microsoft won't turn a profit on the 360 for at least 3 years, assuming sales stay strong.

Comment

Nintendo

Xbox
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X