Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nhl 2006

Demo is out. http://browse.files.filefront.com/NH...owsefiles.html

I gotta say, I didn't have high expectations for this. But having played this. I am impressed. NHL 2005, last years game, sucked major ass. This game is a major improvement.

Everything about this game is better. The skating is fluid and realistic. The physics and hitting are also much more realistic. Even if you don't hit the check button, if you run into a guy, there's a check-like collision.

My only gripe (and it's minor) is that every guy has like a 120 mile an hour slap shot. Not realistic, but acceptable for gameplay sake. Also, slapshots are pretty useless. I've been playing the demo all day and I have yet to score using a slapshot. The best way to score is to use a one-timer. Specifically, getting real close to the goalie like you are going to deke and then passing for the one-timer.

The demo isn't real difficult. On average I beat the AI 4-0. Every so often they get a garbage goal. Sometimes the AI goalie has really good games and makes unbelievable saves and I end up score 1 goal and then getting an empty-netter or two... but only once did the game go to a shoot-out (no OT in the demo). The shootout sucks. Deking is difficult and when it's the AI's turn, you have to control the goalie manually, which sucks.

The demo is pretty straight-forward. You play one 5 minute period (the third) as either Tampa Bay or Toronto. You can't change any of the settings or options. It's all default. I don't know what the difficulty is set at. I would assume easy. Although in one game I was playing, I was killing the AI 6-0 and they started scoring all these BS goals. I was like WTF?

So check the demo out. It's good.

The game comes out next week.

I'm also looking forward to NHL2k6. Although I must say, ESPN's game only comes out on consoles, so I don't know if I'll bother buying it this year. NHL 2006 looks pretty solid. Last year I got NHL2k5 because NHL2005 sucked royal balls. But this year, I think EA might have the better game.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

bump

nobody?

bueller?

bueller?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

i cant get enough of the Demo. I played it all last night, trying to figure out realistic things they might have forgot.

They havent forgotten anything.

Only thing I might not like tho is the ice girls. Not all cities have them, and I know Montreal doesnt. I hope I can mod them to be 40 year old french men.
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
        Only thing I might not like tho is the ice girls. Not all cities have them, and I know Montreal doesnt. I hope I can mod them to be 40 year old french men.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

also, if you want to play longer than just the third period, you can download these mods which allow you to change the rules for the demo:

Read the Instructions.

Apparantly you have to start the demo, the at the rules screen before you start a game, you have to alt-tab out and activate the prog.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Can you skate backwards in NHL 2006 yet?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I would assume easy. Although in one game I was playing, I was killing the AI 6-0 and they started scoring all these BS goals. I was like WTF?
              That's par for the course for EA's NHL games. The goals use a random function with probability offsets depending on player stats, it's like you're gambling with a ridiculously high rate of success instead of playing hockey.

The randomness of the goals and the fact that the AI always seems to catch up to keep the games close with BS goals make EA's NHL series terrible to its core. Just awful.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

That's par for the course for EA's NHL games. The goals use a random function with probability offsets depending on player stats, it's like you're gambling with a ridiculously high rate of success instead of playing hockey.

The randomness of the goals and the fact that the AI always seems to catch up to keep the games close with BS goals make EA's NHL series terrible to its core. Just awful.
                I've completed two full seasons in NHL2k5 and the same kinds of things happen. I fail to see how things are different in that game.

and I only had that happen once in the NHL2006 demo.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Can you skate backwards in NHL 2006 yet?
                  yes...

skating backward has been around, AFAIK, since NHL 2004... probably earlier
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think NHL 2001 had backwards skating as well.

Comment

Okay, the more I play this game, the more I'm learning about the subtle nuances EA has added into puck control. As you skate normally (without holding down speed burst) you can handle the puck (deking basically) by jiggling the left analog stick. The right analog stick, if moved in certain patterns, performs specific deke moves, but the left stick allows precise controls while moving with the puck.

Remember how I said slapshots are useless? Well this isn't true. I've learned that you can get the goalie out of position slightly, or get him to freeze momentarily with subtle "mini-dekes", allowing your slapshot a higher chance of becoming a goal.

I'm starting to get a hang of deking the goalie on breakaways now. I must say, as I'm understanding how to control this feature properly, it's becoming very enjoyable.

This might be the best hockey game ever made.

I'll still check out NHL2k6, but according to most reviews I've seen, not much has been improved over NHL2k5. And there's no PC version.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I learned something new about NHL 06. Apparantly, in the PS2 version, there is a fully playable version of NHL 94.

But that's only in the PS2 version. Sorry, nothing for Xbox owners.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          Okay, the more I play this game, the more I'm learning about the subtle nuances EA has added into puck control. As you skate normally (without holding down speed burst) you can handle the puck (deking basically) by jiggling the left analog stick. The right analog stick, if moved in certain patterns, performs specific deke moves, but the left stick allows precise controls while moving with the puck.
                          That was added 2 years ago to the 2K series.

Remember how I said slapshots are useless? Well this isn't true. I've learned that you can get the goalie out of position slightly, or get him to freeze momentarily with subtle "mini-dekes", allowing your slapshot a higher chance of becoming a goal.
                          This is just now a feature? That's a fundamental aspect of hockey that has been in the 2K series since the start.

I'll still check out NHL2k6, but according to most reviews I've seen, not much has been improved over NHL2k5. And there's no PC version.
                          Seeing as it already has all the new stuff you're talking about, refining is the name of the game...

Does NHL 2006 allow for on-the-fly coaching, for example call for a play to crash the net?

How about aspects such as line chemistry?

Letting players improve on certain aspects of their game by specifying what to focus on in practice?

Precise passing control?
                          Last edited by Asher; September 7, 2005, 16:16.

Comment

That was added 2 years ago to the 2K series.
                            I never noticed it in NHL2k5 and I've completed 2 seasons in franchise

Does NHL 2006 allow for on-the-fly coaching, for example call for a play to crash the net?
                            yes, at least since nhl 2004... they also allow specific faceoff plays
                            How about aspects such as line chemistry?
                            yes, last year in NHL 2005... an idea NHL2k6 ripped off of EA
                            Letting players improve on certain aspects of their game by specifying what to focus on in practice?
                            no, but honestly, that doesn't sound very interesting

Precise passing control?
                            pressing one button to bring up icons so you can choose which button to press to pass to which guy? that is a lot less efficient that simply pointing in the direction of a guy and pressing pass.

good to see NHL2k6 is adding useless features

but I won't bash a game I haven't played, unlike you...

I don't have blind Sega hatred like you have blind EA hatred.

I judge a game on it's merits.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              I never noticed it in NHL2k5 and I've completed 2 seasons in franchise

yes, at least since nhl 2004... they also allow specific faceoff plays
                              I never noticed that when I played -- what buttons do you press to change plays on the fly?

pressing one button to bring up icons so you can choose which button to press to pass to which guy? that is a lot less efficient that simply pointing in the direction of a guy and pressing pass.
                              Except when there's a few guys within the same small space. It's an option, you can do it the old way or the new way...the new way is much better IMO.

I don't have blind Sega hatred like you have blind EA hatred.

I judge a game on it's merits.
                              1) Sega doesn't make NHL 2K6.
                              2) I don't have a blind EA hatred, I have a learned dislike of the EA Sports NHL games. I bought them for nearly a decade before I upgraded.

Comment

Working...
                              X