No announcement yet.

New game project (based on Imperialism)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New game project (based on Imperialism)

At the new Imperialism fora --

...there is a group in the process of forming around the concept of creating a game which will follow in the footsteps of Imps 1 and 2, and which will seek to fill the gap created by the unlikeliness of there ever being an officially released version of Imp3. You might suggest that we're planning on making Imp3...

but I couldn't possibly comment. We are, however, planning on making a game that will appeal to Imperialism players.

We seem to have no shortage of skilled and eager programmers, nor general game balancers and tweakers. There are, however, two areas where we could use more input: a) AI, and b) graphics - especially the areas of sprite-making and the mechanics of interface construction.

If anyone here is interested in learning more, feel free to visit the forum, and make yourself known. Alternatively, you can read more about Imperialism at http://www.strategyplanet.com/dailyimperialist/

Note to the mods: if this post breaches some guideline pertaining to game projects, my apologies, and please feel free to delete...

thanks, /dm

There are many such projects here at Apolyton. Strangely, they never seem to end.

Comment

Do you mean that there are always new projects popping up or do you mean that they never produce a game?

Comment

Probably both.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Yeah.

Comment

So does that mean both you guys are offering to help prevent this project from falling into the latter category? Awesome!

Comment

My, your recruiting drive is certainly aggressive.
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I would love to help, but:

1) I don't have time
                2) Imperialism was never really very good in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                  I would love to help, but:

1) I don't have time
                  2) Imperialism was never really very good in the first place.
                  well at least it was far better than Settlers

I really found Imperialism 2 quite captivating, but Im not sure theres really anything more that can be done with it (yeah, yeah, I know the teleporting of armies and all - i dont think that was really as big a problem as some made out) And im really very taken with EU2 and the Paradox approach now.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

What distinguishes Imp from other 4X games is the dominant role that the production/economic models plays. It underpins everything, as opposed to a game like EU2, where everything is abstracted out to the point of sliders that affect things like "narrow-mindedness" and concepts like "0.7 mercents per year". (I'm not bagging EU2, it's a fine game, but some people -- not DrSpike I guess -- prefer the way Imp is built on the base of the production model.)

I disagree about there being nothing more to be done with Imp. There's quite a lot of discussion at the forum (linked in my first post) about what can go into the next game. There are lots of new ideas about trade, diplomacy, transport, treaties, research, maps, scenarios and tech. As a framework for a game, the Imp way of doing things is far from dead. (I don't think anyone's mentioned teleporting armies yet, though.)

One thing we're going to make sure of is that the new game is very open to modding and scenarios.

So anyway, I repeat my request -- we have programmers, but could still use a couple of graphics/GUI folks. If anyone feels like helping to build a game, come and have a look around.
                    Last edited by dminoz; August 22, 2005, 18:16.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

well at least it was far better than Settlers
                      Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by dminoz
                        What distinguishes Imp from other 4X games is the dominant role that the production/economic models plays. It underpins everything, as opposed to a game like EU2, where everything is abstracted out to the point of sliders that affect things like "narrow-mindedness" and concepts like "0.7 mercents per year". (I'm not bagging EU2, it's a fine game, but some people -- not DrSpike I guess -- prefer the way Imp is built on the base of the production model.)
                        Both games abstract things. For ex, Narrowminded vs Innovative addresses a social-political dimension that simply doesnt exist in the Imps. The imps model FEW things at fair degree of granularity - the production model, tactical combat, etc and then ignore several other areas - notably internal politics, religion, culture, population growth, etc. And the areas that ARE granularly modeled are done so in ways that peculiarly combine intense granularity - the need to carefully layout transport routes - vs dramatic abstraction - all industry takes place in the capital.

and I would suggest that EU2 is in fact less abstract than it looks, even in the economic sphere - the interaction of domestic policy sliders, religion, province stats, population, tech and production efficieny, means that there is a LOT that goes into your economic output.

None of which is to say Imp2 (i havent played Imp 1 beyond the demo) isnt a great game. I still consider it one of my faves, and what it has, that EU lacks, is that civish feeling of developing land with improvements. But its weakness, as far as I took it, was that as you got to higher levels it seemed there were limited ways to win - it funneled you toward particular strategies. And of course it funnels you toward "victory" as world conquest, which is both limiting from a gameplay perspective, and historically limiting as well.

But good luck with the project, hope you find some help.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Nope.
                          well im gonna have to take everything YOU say with a grain of salt, then

Comment

No skin off my nose if you choose to overlook fact.

Comment

Working...
                            X