Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everquest II and the quantity theory of money...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
    There have been quite some downtimes and a bunchload of bannings (permanently) and freezings (until things are sorted out) in the last week. But the inflation peak was not that horrible as it sounded, and all found out ill-gotten platinum has been deleted. This caused no problems on regular servers and only minor issues on the Exchange servers (which I am of course not part of), because there people paid real money for the virtual cash.

Despite some critic, Sony has quite a good record tracking down botters and pharmers in the near past. And now after the Station Exchange introduction, their efforts even gained teeth, because now traded virtual cash has an equivalent in real currency and thus, activities like this can be prosecuted by civil law, as Sony can claim real losses. Before the introduction of Station Exchange this was hardly possible, no court would have made a case about the loss of virtual money.
    That's an interesting angle. Are they bringing any prosecutions?

Comment

Carolus Rex, it sounds like you are talking about this:
      BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Or were you talking about a different noted purchase?
      -Darkstar
      (Knight Errant Of Spam)

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        That's an interesting angle. Are they bringing any prosecutions?
        The Exchange is still new, only running one month. We expect Sony to prepare the first cases carefully, to ensure a victory, as if they lose, the whole thing would be again under question.

Comment

By the way, who wants to read a true duping story, written in a rather entertaining style, could enjoy this link.
          That Sir Ralph was a hilarious read.
          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25

That Sir Ralph was a hilarious read.
            Indeed it was. If it's true they made a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar

Carolus Rex, it sounds like you are talking about this:
              BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Or were you talking about a different noted purchase?
              No, that was the story I read. In the swedish daily the student was named, though... At the BBC site I get the impression he wants to be anonymous...

Carolus

Comment

The question is whether the quantity theory of money was deliberately put in the code or if it actually manifested itself within the game (some economists do not believe in the theory)...

Carolus

Comment

By the way, who wants to read a true duping story, written in a rather entertaining style, could enjoy this link.
                  It seems that MMORPGs are the games to be hooked on...

Carolus

Comment

That really made my Day
                    Dupe, Lie and Steal - thats the Cobra Code
                    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I am glad you all like it.

I don't know for sure, if it is true, but I suspect it is. I am a dedicated EQ2 player for 9 months and as such I can not find any flaw in his story (except for the constant typo in "haulasian mauler"). Also, I remember this update he mentioned very well, and that I wondered why the hell they made house pets no-trade and no-destroy all of a sudden.

Comment

Then it sounds genuine.

/me goes off to look for dupes.

Comment

Working...
                        X