Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why NOT have details if you can?
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Tau Ceti
      ........ An updated version for the later Amiga chipsets was eventually released, and looked identical to the PC version.

edit....
      I played Civ at home on my A1200, the AGA version of civilisation, and i disagree that it looked exactly like the origonal PC version. I played the PC version(an IBM 286!) at work.....well what else was i to do when i'd finished updating the database The Amiga was nicer looking.

Same for the origonal Pirates!(Gold) and UFO Xcom games - both of these were graphicaly better on the AGA amiga's. AmigaAGA Xcom is to my mind the best looking of the Xcoms to this date. I still dig out my amiga to play it - its much higher res than the PC version.

Still PC's became king - and the Amiga's+Atari's died. lets hope console gaming doesn't succeed in killing of PC gaming
      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

here's PC(DOS) Civ title screen
        Attached Files
        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

here's Amiga(looks AGA to me) title screen:
          Attached Files

Comment

Ooh... it is 11 or so years since I last played these, but I think that Amiga screenshot is from the OCS/ECS version - I am fairly certain the AGA version had a metallic-looking title like the PC screenshot above.

I too played all versions (PC VGA/MCGA 256 colour, Amiga OCS 32 colour, Amiga AGA 256 colour), though probably with at least two years between the PC and AGA versions. So I could be wrong, but since both versions use the same resolution and same number of colours I would be surprised if they are not basically identical.

Then again, it hardly looks pretty on any system.

I would agree with you that in general, Amiga graphics looked better than PC graphics until the advent of SVGA. In the case of games originally made for the Amiga - rather than ported from the PC - this usually applies even when the Amiga version is limited to 32 colours. Lots of fancy tricks are available if you know how to program for it...

Comment

your right about that being the non-aga title version - the PC and A1200 version are exactly the same(i loaded them up last weekend ). Still the main difference is that on a TV screen the Amiga version of Civ looks better - i suspect purely down to the TV 'smoothing' things out with its poorer display capabilities over a monitor.

But yes the amiga did beat the PC(graphicaly) hands down untill the advent of SVGA. By that time the PC was so much faster than the amiga, and had more memmory - the Amiga's+AtariST's were doomed.

Still Xcom(UFO defense/enemy unknown) on the A1200 - is still to this day one of the best looking+ best overall strat games you can play

Comment

Originally posted by Tau Ceti
                Ooh... it is 11 or so years since I last played these, but I think that Amiga screenshot is from the OCS/ECS version - I am fairly certain the AGA version had a metallic-looking title like the PC screenshot above.
                With that amount of geek knowledge you should join the Name the Game thread.

Comment

Re: No Civilization on Wikipedia.com?

Originally posted by Sn00py
                  Found a link to Zak Mckracken on wikipedia.com, was surprised that game was even on there..
                  Wikipedia.com?!?! Trying to take over Wikipedia with capitalism? It's .ORG, not .COM. Yeah, not critical but still, gives more of a community touch to the whole nobel cause.
                  "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Fart, you're so modest. Didn't even link to the articles you've been working on.

"Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

/me has been playing Civ 1 all day ... mmmmm

Plays well in DosBox btw, including sound.
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Ahh yes . I had quite forggoten that I wrote the CtP2 article.
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'm really curious who made that entry. They mentioned off topic (though without mentioning the ultimate poster: Dis ), and other games and the forums games within. They obviously know the site fairly well.
                          hmm... It seems someone called "FirstCultural" made some edits on it... Smiley at work, perhaps?

-
                          It certainly is a good entry... not even CivFanatics has an entry on the site... And there only seems to be about 200 sites listed.

Good work Apolyton!

~DC.
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                          X