No Civilization on Wikipedia.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Civilization on Wikipedia.com?

Found a link to Zak Mckracken on wikipedia.com, was surprised that game was even on there..

so I searched for Civilization, surely... that game would be there... but to my surprise, it isn't, or at least I can't find it.

Why is it not there? Some people need to get together and write up about the game Civilization.. and quick!
    be free

Oh! Phew! Nevermind, it is there. Simply typing Civilization in the search doesn't work. (it's not even at the bottom).

I typed Sid Meier and found many options
    be free

Comment

Yet you didn't even link.

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Comment

oh wow, civilization on the Amiga. I wish I had a computer in those days. But I was in the navy.

It's funny how they say they took advantage of the superior graphics. I've always heard the commodore's had better graphics and sounds than the PC's.(of the same time period) Is that true? I remember having a commdore 64 back in the 80's.

Comment

Generally yes, though not in the case of Civilization. The original Amiga version used 32 colours (the maximum practical amount for the early chipsets) and looked horrible, while the PC version supported up to 256 colours (and down to 2!). An updated version for the later Amiga chipsets was eventually released, and looked identical to the PC version.

When the first Amigas came out in 1985, they had by far the best graphics and sound capabilities of any home computer. However, there was essentially no development of the chipset until 1991, and by then PCs had catched up. With the release of new models in 1992, Amigas were once again on top in technical capabilities, but these were not used too much since most owners still had the older models, and the higher resolutions offered usually required a monitor to look decent, while most people used TVs instead of monitors for their Amigas. After 1994 and the Commodore bankruptcy, there was obviously no further development and PCs surged ahead.

Comment

funny, the SMAC entry is bigger and more detailed than the civ one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

We are mentioned in the SMAC one.

Comment

Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Wow........so many memories.

/me feels old.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                        mmmmm... civ (original) ...

I played in 256 colors on the PC (an X86 4.33mhz with 1MB(!) of memory and nearly 20 mb of hard drive space ... those were the days ... )
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

interesting. They have everything on wikipedia. Except one important thing.

I need to do an entry on Dis. Obviously a poster of my legendary status needs some explaining to those few misfortunates who have not heard of my exploits.

I'm really curious who made that entry. They mentioned off topic (though without mentioning the ultimate poster: Dis ), and other games and the forums games within. They obviously know the site fairly well.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
                            funny, the SMAC entry is bigger and more detailed than the civ one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri
                            Heh, I followed the link to the SMACX entry and skimming pver it I noticed that in the Ursupers entry it was claimed Ursupers may use any social engineering. However since I've played Ursupers I know they can't use Democratic, checking the faction file confirmed this but it's omitted from the datalink info entry. The things that can go unnoticed for years and years... anyway I updated the Wiki entry.

Comment

I find it rather ridiculious to describe a game in such detail on something like wikipedia.

Same for Apolyton on wikipedia, a short desciption and a link should do.

Comment

Working...
                              X